[SOA] THATcamp regional comes to Columbus, apply to attend now

Janet Carleton carleton at ohio.edu
Fri Sep 11 12:34:34 EDT 2009

I very much enjoyed THATcamp Austin (http://www.thatcampaustin.org/),
which immediately preceded the Society of American Archivists' meeting.

http://thatcampcolumbus.org/

THATCamp (The Humanities And Technology Camp)  is a user-generated
"unconference" on digital humanities inspired by the Center for History
and New Media (CHNM) at George Mason University.

At the THATcamp 2009, CHNM floated the idea of holding regional camps
around the country, an idea that quickly took hold, leading to events in
Austin, Texas (THATcamp Austin) and Washington state (THATcamp Pacific
Northwest), as well as a planned event in Michigan (THATcamp Great Lakes).

THATcamp Columbus, a collaborative effort of the Ohio Humanities Council
and the Center for Public History and Digital Humanities at Cleveland
State University, will be held in January 2010 in Columbus, Ohio.

Who should attend?
Anyone with energy and an interest in digital humanities.  That includes
academics, librarians, archivists, cultural activists, curators,
students, educators, and professionals in all fields where technology
and the humanities collide.

What should I propose?
That's up to you. Sessions at THATCamp will range from software demos to
training sessions to discussions of research findings to half-baked
rants (but please no full-blown papers; we're not here to read or be
read to). You should come to THATCamp with something in mind, and on the
first day find a time, a place, and people to share it with. Once you’re
at THATCamp, you may also find people with similar topics and interests
to team up with for a joint session.  You might want to check out the
original THATcamp blog or some of the regional camps to get an idea of
the scope of topics, but don’t feel limited by those examples.  If it
falls under the topic of the humanities and technology, and impacts you,
your organization, or the field of digital humanities (broadly defined)
then it's fair game.

Where and when will THATCamp be held?

The event will be held on Friday January 15th and Saturday, January
16th, 2010 in Columbus, Ohio.  We've yet to set an exact location so get
in touch if you live or work in Columbus and want to help out!

Where's the schedule? When is THATCamp?
We'll create the entire schedule on Day 1, but the important parts go as
follows:  Day 1 begins with registration from 8:30-9 (breakfast
included), and we'll begin promptly at 9am. Day 1 will end at 5:30pm,
and we'll resume for day 2 at with breakfast (yes, we'll have lots of
coffee) at 8:30am and sessions beginning at 9am.  Following Day 2
sessions, we will hold a panel discussion, inviting institutional
stakeholders to join in the dialogue.

How do I sign up?
Unfortunately, we only have space for 40-50 participants, so we have to
do some vetting.  The application form is here:
http://thatcampcolumbus.org/about/apply. Apply Now!

How much?
THATCamp Columbus is free to all attendees, but a $25 donation towards
materials, snacks, beverages, and t-shirts (yes, t-shirts!) will be much
appreciated by the organizers.

How do I sponsor THATCamp?
A limited number of sponsorships are available to corporations and
non-profits.  Shoot us an email at thatcampcolumbus at gmail.com.
Janet M. Carleton - carleton at ohio.edu - 740.597.2527
Digital Initiatives Coordinator / Women's & Gender Studies Librarian
Alden 237, Ohio University Libraries, Athens, Ohio
Digital Initiatives - http://media.library.ohiou.edu/
Library - http://www.library.ohiou.edu/