[SOA] Have you heard? Ohio Historical Center now open more hours!

Angela O'Neal aoneal at ohiohistory.org
Thu Sep 23 08:57:58 EDT 2010

Beginning July 1, 2010, the Ohio Historical Society has extended hours
at the Ohio Historical Center in Columbus to three days a week. The new
hours are: Thursdays from 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; and Fridays and Saturdays from
10 a.m. -5 p.m. OHS has also eliminated the parking fee for the Center.

"We listened to our stakeholders and found a way to make it work within
our budget," said Burt Logan, OHS executive director and CEO. "The
change in hours will increase customer service and provide additional
opportunities to engage and involve visitors in Ohio history. By
offering free parking, it will be more affordable for people to visit
the museum, attend an event or use our services."

Public hours for the museum and archives/library at the center have
increased from one to three days and free parking will be available for
all visitors at the center and for most special events at Ohio Village.
The new hours are: Thursdays from 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; and Fridays and
Saturdays from 10 a.m. -5 p.m. for the Archives/Library and Museum. The
Ohio Historic Preservation Office and OHS business offices will continue
to be open 9 a.m. -5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Museum admission will
remain the same: $8 for adults, $7 for seniors (60+), $4 for youths
(6-12) and free for children (5 and under) and Ohio Historical Society
members. There is no admission fee to the archives/library and historic
preservation office.

Logan said, "This was done after careful consideration of the effect of
these actions on next year's budget and staffing resources as well as
the ongoing initiative to change focus of the museum and
archives/library into a collections learning center. We're still not up
to a full week's schedule yet after last year's state funding cut, but
we're making progress towards that goal."

The Ohio Historical Center is one of 58 historic sites and museums
administered by the Ohio Historical Society, a nonprofit organization
that serves as the state's partner in preserving and interpreting Ohio's
history, archaeology, natural history and historic places. For more
information about programs and events, call 614.297.2300/800.686.6124 or
visit www.ohiohistory.org/OHC
<http://www.ohiohistory.org/about/pr/www.ohiohistory.org/OHC> .

For more information on the resources available in the Archives/Library,
visit http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/

Angela O'Neal
Director, Collections Services

Ohio Historical Society
(614) 297-2576

www.ohiohistory.org <http://www.ohiohistory.org>

OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY   Connect with the past. Create a better future.