[SOA] Looking for Topical Records and Collections to Feature

Bain, George bain at ohio.edu
Wed Apr 4 20:43:24 EDT 2012

Dear SOA Colleagues,
Here is something I would like to explore for possible features in upcoming issues of the Ohio Archivist. Willing to help?

The idea is look at records and collections in Ohio that center around significant national anniversaries that are currently observable and to find out about recent uses or potential uses. This may lead to feature articles about specific groups or collections; it may lead to an "interview"-type coverage on several collections in several repositories. Please let me know if you work with such materials.

The anniversaries which I have in mind are:
- bicentennial of the War of 1812
- sesquicentennial of the Civil War
- centennial of the Progressive Era (ca. 1905-1920)
- 75th anniversary of the New Deal (1933-1941) as well as the Depression
- 50th anniversary of the New Frontier-War on Poverty period (Peace Corps, space, youth movement, Civil Rights revolution, and beginnings of anit-war movement)
- Fuzzier half-century mark (more or less) for records/collections that center around international affairs following World War II

As you can see, I don't have all my answers yet. But if you have some good candidates or want to explore this with me further, please make contact. Thanks.
George Bain, Assistant Editor, Ohio Archivist
Phone: 740-592-3828