[SOA] SAA Museum Archives Section Working Group

Susan Miller sMiller at clevelandart.org
Thu May 2 11:03:05 EDT 2013

Dear All,

I am writing to you on behalf of the SAA Museum Archives Section Working Group. Our Working Group is dedicated to creating an online tool for the museum archives community to aid resource sharing across institutions. Currently, Working Group members, including myself, are gathering examples of forms, policies, and procedures to populate our online resource. You can view the resources we gathered last year online here: http://www.archivists.org/saagroups/museum/standards.htm.
At this time, our Working Group is trying to improve and expand the online resource to make it more useful to our community. Based on a survey completed by Museum Archives Section members and evaluative work done by the Working Group, we have created a list of specific policies, procedures, and forms that we are trying to collect. You can find this list at the bottom of this email. I am hoping that you might be willing to share some of these documents with me.

>From the documents I gather, I will be selecting examples of best practices to upload to the SAA standards portal and the Museum Archives website. All documents uploaded to the portal will be available to the public. Please note that not all of the documents that I collect will be uploaded to our site; I will be selecting diverse examples to share online. It is important to our Working Group that the resources selected for sharing represent different types of museums from many regions.

Thanks in advance for your willingness to help us build a valuable resource for the museum archives community.

If you have anything to share or have questions, please contact me at smiller at clevelandart.org<mailto:smiller at clevelandart.org>.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Susan Miller (The Cleveland Museum of Art)

2012-2013 MAS Working Group: Barbara Austen, Pam Spriester Bell, Melissa Bowling, Rachel Chatalbash, Ryan Evans, Caroline LeFevre, Susan Miller, Dawn Sueoka, Lindsay Turley, Jennifer Whitlock, Brian Wilson

We are trying to collect:

*             Social media policies
*             Confidentiality or restriction policies
*             Reader registration forms from small museums
*             Collection development policies that discuss cooperative collecting
*             Records management policies or manuals from non-art museums
*             Records retention schedules from a public university museum
*             Electronic records policies
*             Electronic record retention schedules
*             Mission statements or statements of purpose for non-art museums
*             Preservation policies covering physical materials
*             Preservation policies covering digital materials
*             Processing manuals
*             Standard series examples
*             Consortium policies or agreements
*             Space planning documents
*             Disaster plans or plan sections covering digital assets
*             Loan policies and forms
*             Repository overviews or descriptions
*             Assistant Archivist job descriptions or other job descriptions
*             Oral history release agreements
*             Access policies
*             Digital asset management policies

Susan Miller
Electronic Records Archivist
The Cleveland Museum of Art
11150 East Boulevard