[SOA] RSVP for Sept 24 OhioDIG meeting: Digital Preservation

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Wed Sep 3 12:14:47 EDT 2014

 Please join the Ohio Digitization Interest Group at our September meeting at 10am on Wednesday, September 24, 2014, at the State Library of Ohio. Our discussion group meeting will include a presentation on "Basic Considerations for Digital Preservation."

Please RSVP by Mon 9/22, 5pm. Limited to 60.
Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OjM3TMmnHnANY1fgGtC5WoHddfTrZz8Hm8d8WgtNGHo/viewform

Theme: "Basic Considerations for Digital Preservation"
Speaker: Dan Noonan, assistant professor, e-Records/Digital Resources archivist, The Ohio State University Libraries/University Archives.
Synopsis: The process of digitizing our collections is no small feat. As such, we more likely than not will want to preserve these digital surrogates so as not to have to continually re-digitize, which can be labor intensive and costly, as well as pose a potential threat to the original artifact. This presentation will address the basic steps archivists, curators, and librarians need to consider to establish an appropriate digital preservation environment.

- Host: Shannon Kupfer (skupfer at library.ohio.gov)
- Program: Janet Carleton (carleton at ohio.edu)
- Food: Coffee & cookies will be offered at the start of the meeting. Lunch will be brown bag.
- Cost: There is no fee for attending, but we will be accepting donations for the coffee kitty.

Agenda
- 10:00-10:30 coffee social (coffee & cookies);
- 10:30-11:30 presentation and discussion on topic;
- 11:30-11:45 break;
- 11:45-1:00 brown bag lunch: all-attendee updates, "members" meeting, discussion;
- 1:15- optional: small group discussions (user groups, birds of a feather)
- 1:15-1:45 optional:  tour of SLO Rare Book Room (FULL)
- 1:45-2:15 optional:  tour of SLO Rare Book Room (limited to 10 people)

Site: State Library of Ohio, 274 E. First Ave, Columbus 43201

Directions/Parking: Free onsite parking. See http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/directions

About OhioDIG: The Ohio Digitization Interest Group is an informal discussion group open to those with an interest in digitization in the archives/library/museum/historical society world.

Web: http://ohiodig.org/ ; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OhioDIG/ . Sign up for the Listserv at http://ohiodig.org/listserv.html .

OHIO University Libraries

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | 1 Ohio University | Alden 322 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu | http://media.library.ohiou.edu | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital  | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/

The best student-centered learning experience in America