[SOA] Archivists help Shoes & Clothes for Kids--deadline extended to sign up to help in CLE

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 12 11:46:17 EDT 2015

Call for Volunteers! - deadline extended to 8/15! Do not need to be attending SAA to participate!

Are you organized?  Do you have experience sorting through boxes of valuable items?  Do you enjoy helping people?  Do you like free food? If you've answered "yes" to these questions, then I have an opportunity for you!

Attendees of the 2015 SAA Annual Conference in Cleveland (or any other interested folks) will have a fun opportunity to give back to the host city by participating in a charitable service project.  We will be partnering with Shoes and Clothes for Kids (SC4K) https://www.sc4k.org/ to provide a volunteer opportunity for interested meeting goers.

When: Tuesday, August 18, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm

Where: Woodland Data Center, 4966 Woodland Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44104 (offsite)

Register: http://bit.ly/saa-service

SC4K buys pallets of clothes that need to be counted, sorted, and packed into smaller boxes for its distribution partners.  Packing days are a fun opportunity that involves some physical labor, including:

*             Making boxes.

*             Opening and unpacking boxes.

*             Breaking down boxes.

*             Packing boxes.

*             And then starting the process all over again!

Register: Please fill out this very short form by August 15 at http://bit.ly/saa-service

A minimum of 10 volunteers is needed (right now, we only have two...we can do better than that!).

FREE lunch will be provided to volunteers after the shift.

Shoes and Clothes for Kids (SC4K) is the only non-profit organization in Greater Cleveland providing new shoes and clothes at no charge throughout the year to thousands of children in need. For more information about SC4K, see their website at https://www.sc4k.org/

More info about the Service Projects:

http://archivists.org/am2015/attend/service-project-SC4K#.Vb9rmvn_lng

More info from the Host Committee blog: https://saa2015cle.wordpress.com/service-project/sc4k-packing-project/

See Off The Record bog post: http://offtherecord.archivists.org/2015/06/15/2015-saa-service-project-shoes-and-clothes-for-kids/

Much more information in Sched: http://sched.co/2y8o<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsched.co%2F2y8o&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEEEyV2jlcyrLVEQBkZphBoCWw9Aw>

Please contact Host Committee Service Project Coordinator Nicole Laflamme with any questions not answered in Sched at nicole.laflamme at jmsmucker.com<mailto:nicole.laflamme at jmsmucker.com>

OHIO University

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 322 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu | http://media.library.ohiou.edu | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/