[SOA] College & Univ archivists: do you keep trophies?

Grace, Kevin (graceka) GRACEKA at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu Jun 4 09:34:22 EDT 2015

Hi Carrie,

No, we leave that to the Athletic Department as those folks generally have the exhibit space, storage space, and the immediate needs for them in terms of exhibitions, photographs, or sports information.  In our particular situation, if we had them here in the University Archives, the Athletic Department would still just view the items as theirs and that we were just functioning as storage space for them.  And, we've found that such items have minimal research value.  However, we would not shut the door on truly old or important trophies, but over the decades there are so many mundane ones that we have not pursued them.

Best,

Kevin

Kevin Grace
Head and University Archivist