[SOA] MayDay: Give Today to the National Disaster Recovery Fund for Archives

Carleton, Janet via OHIOARCHIVISTS ohioarchivists at lists.oplin.org
Mon May 1 11:49:08 EDT 2017

From: SAA Headquarters [mailto:saahq at archivists.org]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2017 8:03 AM
To: Carleton, Janet <carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu>>
Subject: Give Today to the National Disaster Recovery Fund for Archives

What we can't predict, we can still plan for.

May 1, 2017
View this email in your browser<http://mailchi.mp/archivists/give-today-to-the-national-disaster-recovery-fund-for-archives?e=399b52cd06>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6/images/e29e3b00-6841-4e67-a4a4-3fcf72c37111.jpg]

We can’t predict when a natural disaster might affect an archival collection—what tree may fall where, how severe flooding will be after a storm, how far a fire may spread before being brought under control.

That's why the National Disaster Recovery Fund for Archives<http://archivists.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6&id=6afdba2363&e=399b52cd06> (NDRFA) was created in 2005: to meet the stabilization and recovery needs of archival repositories in emergency situations.

Today, we invite you to contribute to the NDRFA to ensure assistance for repositories in times of critical need.

Donate Now!<http://archivists.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6&id=d7e2e766ca&e=399b52cd06>

When catastrophic flooding in Louisiana in August 2016 endangered records in nine of the twelve parishes of the Diocese of Baton Rouge, a grant from the NDRFA assisted in conservation efforts. Ann Boltin, archivist of the diocese, writes:

“Your contribution has allowed us to save more than 2,000 photographs and more than 70 cubic feet of records. We are grateful for the prompt response to our needs. The people of Louisiana are still recovering from this devastating flood. Being able to provide them with assistance and guidance in how to deal with their wet records and materials has lifted a tremendous burden from their shoulders.”

We can’t know what disasters might come our way, but together we can be prepared to help colleagues recover from them. With your support of the NDRFA, you can be sure that archivists will have the resources to recover and preserve valuable archival records.

The SAA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization. Donations to the NDRFA or any other fund of your choice are tax deductible.

Share why you gave on social media using #saagives<http://archivists.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6&id=3c8fb6d70f&e=399b52cd06>!

Thank you!

SAA Foundation Board of Directors<http://archivists.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6&id=37eddfa26e&e=399b52cd06>

P.S. If an unexpected disaster affected your repository, do you have a plan of action in place? May 1—MayDay—is the perfect opportunity to do something that will make a difference when and if an emergency occurs. Click here<http://archivists.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6&id=9c67f5b6c5&e=399b52cd06> for tips and ideas for developing an emergency response plan, and email mayday at archivists.org<mailto:mayday at archivists.org> to share how you’re “celebrating” MayDay.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6/images/a80d8924-4961-451a-9156-72049baed397.jpg]<http://archivists.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6&id=6a90f3d7a7&e=399b52cd06>

17 N. State Street, Suite 1425
Chicago, IL 60602-3315
312-606-0722; toll-free 866-722-7858
http://www2.archivists.org<http://archivists.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56c4cfbec1ee5b2a284e7e9d6&id=159f54465e&e=399b52cd06>

Society of American Archivists · 17 North State Street · Suite 1425 · Chicago, IL 60602-4601 · USA