[SOA] Regional Heritage Stewardship Program in Appalachia

pso via OHIOARCHIVISTS ohioarchivists at lists.oplin.org
Tue May 2 16:02:16 EDT 2017

Regional Heritage Stewardship Program
serving Appalachian regions of Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia
Presented by the Conservation Center for Art & Historic Artifacts.
Join us for the first workshop series of the Regional Heritage Stewardship Program. Workshops I & II will cover topics vital to staff and volunteers with responsibility caring for cultural collections.

Both workshops will be offered in two locations - Athens, Ohio and Hazard, Kentucky.

Workshops:

I: Preservation Best Practices and Conducting a Preservation Needs Assessment
This program will provide an overview of preservation standards for collections care and management including basic benchmarking, identifying facilities concerns, collections storage, and agents of deterioration.
Participants will also learn the components of a comprehensive preservation needs assessment and receive guidance on conducting self-assessments.

II: Fundraising for Collections Care and Artifact Handling and Housing
Through thoughtful planning and effective grant writing, your organization can be competitive in seeking public and private funding to preserve cultural collections.  This workshop will examine the planning process funders want to see, elements of a successful grant proposal, and regional funding opportunities.
Participants will also learn about safe handling and housing techniques for both flat and three dimensional objects.  Discussion will include how to prepare work areas, best practices for moving various types of artifacts, and identifying potential conservation concerns before handling.

Speaker: Dyani Feige, Director of Preservation Services, Conservation Center for Art & Historic Artifacts

Athens, Ohio - Southeast Ohio History Center
Workshop I: June 22, 2017, 9:30am - 3:30pm
Workshop II: June 23, 2017, 9:30am - 3:30pm

Hazard, Kentucky - Hazard Community & Technical College
Workshop I: June 27, 2017, 9:30am - 3:30pm
Workshop II: June 28, 2017, 9:30am - 3:30pm

Fees: $30 per day, or $50 for both workshops

Click here for more information about the Workshops at the Southeast Ohio History Center.<http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ee2le62oa01f520a&llr=ys9myawab>

Click here for more information about the Workshops at Hazard Community & Technical College.<http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ee2nqt8xd131e68f&llr=ys9myawab>

Funding for these programs was generously provided by the National Endowment for the H