[SOA] Fwd: Ask Your Representative to Join the Congressional History Caucus!

George Bain bain at ohio.edu
Tue Feb 20 18:55:13 EST 2018

Who is game?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Ask Your Representative to Join the Congressional History Caucus!
Date: 	Tue, 20 Feb 2018 17:35:19 +0000
From: 	National Coalition for History <lwhite at historycoalition.org>
To: 	bain at ohio.edu

Ask Your Representative to Join the Congressional History Caucus!

<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=25ba8910e2&e=8e8580b8fb>

*URGE YOUR REPRESENTATIVE TO JOIN THE CONGRESSIONAL HISTORY CAUCUS*

As you may have read in our recent email, President Trump is once again
threatening to gut history-related agencies and programs. His budget
request for Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 proposes the elimination of the
National Endowment for the Humanities, Institute of Museum and Library
Services, the National Historical Publications and Records Commission,
and several key education and preservation programs. As we fight to
ensure that these proposals do not become law, our most important assets
are our allies in Congress. That’s why this is the perfect time to make
a major push for the Congressional History Caucus.

We are asking you to make it a top priority to promote the caucus by
contacting your representative and sharing it on social media. The NCH
website has a page devoted solely to the caucus
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=fa642404ff&e=8e8580b8fb>
that provides step-by-step directions on how you can call or email your
representative and ask them to join the caucus. It also includes the
“Dear Colleague” letter
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=5883b22c07&e=8e8580b8fb> circulated
a few months ago by Congressmen John Larson (D-CT), Tom Cole
(R-OK),**and Bill Pascrell (D-NJ), soliciting members of Congress to
join the caucus in 2018.

Since we are not specifically asking for funding or a policy change you
will likely get a positive response if you take the time to make the
request. *But the simple truth is Members of Congress are unlikely to
join unless they are asked to do so by their constituents! *Please help
us in this effort to build a strong and vibrant History Caucus.

*_What does the History Caucus do?_*
The purpose of the caucus is to provide a forum for members of Congress
to share their interest in history and to promote an awareness of the
subject on Capitol Hill. NCH leadership feels it is important for the
historical community to be perceived as a resource by Congress instead
of just another constituent seeking funding. The key to success on
Capitol Hill is having relationships in place before you need them. The
History Caucus increases NCH’s visibility and provides a network of
supporters in Congress that we can reach out to when issues arise.

Some of the activities the History Caucus leadership has planned include:

  * Lectures by prominent historians and policy makers to provide
    historical context and perspective on current and past issues. This
    includes promoting lectures sponsored by the National History Center.
  * Promotion on the Hill of events and exhibits at the Library of
    Congress, National Archives, the Smithsonian and other historical
    institutions in Washington.
  * Establishing relationships between Members of Congress and
    historians, the Architect of the Capitol, former Members of
    Congress, historical institutions and history departments at
    academic institutions in their district.
  * Programs designed to increase awareness of history both on Capitol
    Hill and among their constituents, especially students.

Facebook
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=4f11d2355e&e=8e8580b8fb>

Facebook
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=6da3ffbbae&e=8e8580b8fb>

Twitter
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=6579fd7cfb&e=8e8580b8fb>

Twitter
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=94e6d57671&e=8e8580b8fb>

Website
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=a9be1789f6&e=8e8580b8fb>

Website
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=be6f733ab9&e=8e8580b8fb>

/Copyright © 2018 National Coalition for History, All rights reserved./
You have signed up for this newsletter via membership or on our website,
historycoalition.org.

*Our mailing address is:*
National Coalition for History
400 A Street SE
Washington, DC 20005

Add us to your address book
<//historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/vcard?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=6dcb1de0ad>

unsubscribe from this list
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=6dcb1de0ad&e=8e8580b8fb&c=ac0c897c5c>
update subscription preferences
<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/profile?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=6dcb1de0ad&e=8e8580b8fb>