[SOA] Basics of Archives with Charlie Arp (Summer 2020) AASLH Learning: Online Course:

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Tue May 19 12:27:53 EDT 2020

Ohio's own Charlie Arp<https://learn.aaslh.org/products/online-course-basics-of-archives-summer-2020#tab-product_tab_instructor> will be again teaching The Basics of Archives online this summer for the American Association for State and Local History (AASLHA).

Course Description: The Basics of Archives online course is designed to give organizations and individuals who are responsible for the care of historical records an introduction to the core aspects of managing and protecting historical records collections, using appropriate principles and best practices.

The course consists of seven lessons:

  1.  Archives and Archivists
  2.  Acquiring Your Collections
  3.  Processing Collections
  4.  Housing Your Collections
  5.  Access and Outreach
  6.  Digital Records
  7.  Digitization

Details

  *   Course Dates: June 1 - July 5, 2020
  *   Cost: $85 AASLH Members / $160 Nonmembers
  *   Open Registration: March 2, 2020 - May 24, 2020

Course Logistics

  *   Format: Online, self-paced course with instructor feedback
  *   Length: 5 weeks; 15-20 hours to be completed anytime during the five-week course period (dates above).
  *   Participation Style: Online chat. There are no required times to be online.
  *   Materials: There are no required texts for this course. All materials will be provided.
  *   Who Should Take This Course: This course is a beginning level course designed for professional staff and volunteers of historical organizations and libraries with historical collections who have little to no experience with archival materials.

Register: https://learn.aaslh.org/products/online-course-basics-of-archives-summer-2020

Participant Feedback

"This course was exactly what we need to improve our rather small Collection and take it to another step. Thanks for all of the ideas and information. I am especially impressed with how well the course is organized and presented online. The site was very well thought out and presented no problems for me - a slightly challenged computer geek-wanna be."

"This was a marvelous course and now I have confidence that I can do the work: material to reference and people to communicate with as needed."

"I just wanted to say thank you for having this course. It has really helped me decide what direction I want to make my education in and had definitely helped me with some of the smaller preservation jobs I take on at the library."

---
Janet Carleton | Working from home | https://www.ohio.edu/library/coronavirus
Digital Initiatives Coordinator | Preservation and Digital Initiatives | OHIO University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 333 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu> | Pronouns: she, her, hers | https://media.library.ohio.edu  | @jcarletonoh<https://twitter.com/jcarletonoh> | @AldenLibDigital<https://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital> | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ |  http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/