[SOA] Western Reserve Exhibit

Linda Hocking lhocking at litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org
Thu Oct 22 13:55:08 EDT 2020

The Litchfield Historical Society (Litchfield, Connecticut) is creating an exhibit (opening 2022) to tell the story of the Connecticut Western Reserve with funding from a Connecticut Humanities grant. It will explore the reasons behind the migration of Connecticut's sons and daughters to Ohio; economic, social and political impacts of this western migration; the role of Native Americans in this migration; and the migration's role in the larger national narrative of Manifest Destiny.

An interesting aspect of the story is what migrants chose to bring with them. Unless they returned to Connecticut, many of their artifacts and documents, if they survive, are more likely to be in Ohio than Connecticut. That makes for a challenging exhibit plan, but we are up for it. We are asking for help in identifying stories, artifacts, and documents that can inform, be reproduced, or be lent for the project. As our planned research trips have been postponed indefinitely, we are especially interested in materials that have been or could be (or have been) digitized, photographed, or transcribed as we work to identify what to include. Please contact us with anything you are interested in sharing. Many thanks!

Linda M. Hocking, CA
Curator of Library & Archives
Litchfield Historical Society
P.O. Box 385