[SOA] Bilingual Mandarin/English Translator and Cataloger - summer project

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Tue Jan 19 16:22:22 EST 2021

Forwarded by request.

From: Denise Monbarren <DMONBARREN at wooster.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 3:33 PM
To: Carleton, Janet <carleton at ohio.edu>
Subject: Fw: Position Opening
Cc: Catie Heil <cheil at wooster.edu<mailto:cheil at wooster.edu>>
Subject: Position Opening

Hi Janet,
Please post this position opening to the SOA listserv:

https://www.wooster.edu/academics/libraries/contact/mandarin-translator/

Thank You,
Denise D. Monbarren
Special Collections Librarian
The College of Wooster Libraries

Bilingual Mandarin/English Translator and Cataloger

The College of Wooster Libraries seeks a bilingual librarian or library school student to assist with a summer project to translate English language metadata and transcriptions to Mandarin. Those with a background in history, museum studies, or relevant fields but without library experience will also be considered.

As part of our CLIR Hidden Special Collections grant, we have digitized and transcribed a large collection of 19th century letters, ephemera, photographs, and sermons documenting the experience of Harriet Noyes, a female missionary working in China. The materials were originally written in English and have been transcribed and described (Dublin Core) in English.

During the summer phase of our project, we will be translating all of the transcriptions and metadata into Mandarin, which will be presented alongside the English language transcriptions and metadata on the website. We are seeking a bilingual individual to supervise 2-3 Mandarin and English speaking/writing students and assist them with translation. When not working directly with the students, it is expected that the translator will be translating the transcripts and metadata alongside the students or checking the quality of their work.

This position will begin on May 23rd and continue until August 23rd, though the translator will be required to communicate periodically about the project prior to the start date. Though we may be able to help negotiate on-campus housing, the translator will be responsible for the cost of housing if they choose to work in person. The work may also be performed entirely remotely, though it must be done from the United States. Regular check-ins with the students working on the project will be expected as will availability 8:00am-5:00pm to consult with students as they need assistance. The complete stipend for the period of work is $6,000. To apply, email Catie Heil at cheil at wooster.edu<mailto:cheil at wooster.edu> with a resume and cover letter.

Required Qualifications
Bachelor's degree. Preferred in History, Library and Museum Studies, Chinese, or related field
Fluency in written and spoken Mandarin and English
Basic knowledge of best practices in cataloging and metadata creation
Ability to work independently and efficiently
Ability to meet deadlines
Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups

Preferred Qualifications
ALA-accredited Master's degree in library or information science or coursework towards a degree
Experience cataloging or creating metadata for digital collections
Experience supervising student employees
Knowledge of best practices in cataloging and metadata creation
Knowledge of LC Subject Headings and Classification
Familiarity with Dublin Core metadata schema