[SOA] making decisions about photos

Barb Sedlock bsedlock at defiance.edu
Wed Dec 21 12:30:52 EST 2022

This is probably not the best time of year to post something like
this, when a lot of people are taking vacation around the holidays,
but I'll make a stab at it anyway.

When your institution sends a batch of photos to your archives to use
as you see fit, how do you decide how many to keep for the archives?

Our marketing office regularly cleans out old files and sends us
photos, and they say I can throw out any that I don't use for the
archives.  So today, for example, there is a batch of pictures from
Homecoming 1997, which includes photos of people attending some kind
of dinner event in association with Homecoming, no ID info., of
course, which is the norm for most of what they send me.  I have
picked out 5 that show faces the best.  If you were in this situation,
would you keep the 5, or just pick one or two as representation enough
of the event?  In a batch of Commencement photos, would you save every
one of a student walking across the stage to get their diploma as long
as it was a clear picture and a good composition? Or just save a
representative few?

Are there rules of thumb on how many print photos need to be saved to
commemorate an event in a college/uni archives?  I worry that I'm
saving too many.
Thanks,
Barb Sedlock
bsedlock at defiance.edu

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any
attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may