[SOA] CFP – From Interrogation to Integration: Centering Social Justice in Special Collections, Archives, and Preservation

Makarowski, Rachel makarorm at miamioh.edu
Thu Sep 8 16:14:24 EDT 2022

Dear SOA members,

The following call for chapter proposals may be of interest to you! Please
share as appropriate.

Thank you!
Kim Hoffman and Rachel Makarowski, editors

Call for Chapter Proposals – From Interrogation to Integration: Centering
Social Justice in Special Collections, Archives, and Preservation

Proposal deadline: 21 October 2022

Submit your proposal online
<https://sites.google.com/miamioh.edu/interrogation-to-integration/home>

Please feel free to share with any colleagues who may be interested.

Our profession seeks to overcome a history of centering cis white men and
their experiences. Though we steward many diverse stories, we struggle to
move beyond celebrating legacy collections. These celebrated collections
often fail to demonstrate the true breadth and variety of perspectives
found in our archives. There have been many discussions to reflect on DEI
efforts in our field, but the energy and ability to create large-scale
change can be challenging to sustain beyond these reflections due to
staffing, budget, and time constraints.

Each of the chapters in this publication will demonstrate the ways that
archival professionals center DEI in our everyday practice, outreach,
conservation, and more, or can imagine doing so in the future. Although the
focus of this volume will be archives, special collections, and
conservation, we welcome relevant case studies from the mainstream academic
library professions with commentary on how they could be applied to special
collections and archives. For example, case studies based on instructional
pedagogy, outreach initiatives, cataloging and descriptive practices, or
curatorial approaches would be welcomed. We hope this book will empower
archivists and librarians to become active agents of change in their home
institutions regardless of size or staffing.

Chapter authors will discuss small-scale efforts and decisions that can be
implemented at the ground level that accumulate to create larger scale
changes, as evidenced by their own experiences. Final chapters should be
3,000 to 5,000 words.

Topics may include but are not limited to:

   -

   Reparative description projects
   -

   Exploring post-custodial models
   -

   Curation: addressing legacy collections/narratives, gaps and silences,
   development strategies
   -

   Instruction and outreach with a DEI focus, including use of critical
   pedagogy, trauma informed pedagogy, etc.
   -

   Accessibility
   -

   Prioritizing preservation benchwork through a DEI lens
   -

   Cultural sensitivity and rehousing
   -

   Cultural sensitivity and handling considerations
   -

   Embargo periods and digital access
   -

   Environmental justice, sustainability, and disaster preparedness
   -

   Digitization - prioritization, workflows, description, etc.
   -

   Community driven archiving

Timeline

9 September 2022 / Call for Chapter Proposals

21 October 2022 / Chapter Proposal Submission Deadline

18 November 2022 / Accept or Reject Decision Deadline

3 March 2023 / First Drafts Due

2 June 2023 / Editorial Review Completed

4 August 2023 / Author Revisions Due

1 September 2023 / Completed Manuscript Due to ACRL

Submission Procedures

Proposals should include the names and affiliations of all potential
authors/contributors, title of chapter, and a 500-word abstract.

Submit your proposal online
<https://sites.google.com/miamioh.edu/interrogation-to-integration/home>

The editors strongly encourage proposals from individuals of all
ethnicities, races, countries of origin, gender identities and expressions,
ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, economic backgrounds,
scholarly and professional backgrounds and experiences, types and sizes of
institutions, and other differences. The editors are committed to
amplifying and highlighting lived experiences from these different
perspectives as they relate to social justice in the fields of special
collections, archives, and preservation.

About the Book

This edited volume will be published by ACRL Press. Per ACRL, citations
should be formatted in the Chicago Manual of Style endnotes and
bibliography format. Footnotes can be used sparingly and only for
explanatory text. Here’s a good quick guide for reference
<https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide/citation-guide-1.html>
.

About the Editors

As early career, cis white female librarians, situated in the Midwest, the
editors recognize that both their professional identities and their
institutional history reflect privilege and contribute to the status quo in
their profession. They also acknowledge their roles in perpetuating
systemic injustices. It is this context that led them to question how they
could center diverse narratives in their own collection and provided the
inspiration for this volume. The editors hope to generate an influx of
ideas from a diverse audience, and in turn, hope that readers will benefit
from these new perspectives. Ultimately, the goal of this volume is to
identify strategies to center diversity, equity, and inclusion in archival
daily practices, in full knowledge that this historically has not been a
priority at many predominantly white institutions. The editors of this
volume have presented upon how they have incorporated diversity, equity,
and inclusion into their daily workflows and practices. They have also
facilitated discussions regarding this topic and in doing so, have noticed
a continued desire for discourse and case studies.

Kim Hoffman is the Preservation Librarian at Miami University in Oxford,
Ohio. Her responsibilities include maintaining both the circulating and
special collections as well as the digital preservation program. She
received her MS in Library and Information Science and her MA in Museum
Studies from Syracuse University in New York, where she also earned a
Certificate of Advanced Studies in Cultural Heritage Preservation.

Rachel Makarowski is the Special Collections Librarian at Miami University.
In her position, she is responsible for many of the functions for special
collections, including instruction, outreach, reference, cataloging,
curation, and collection management. She graduated from Indiana University
Bloomington with an MLS, specializing in Rare Book and Manuscript
Librarianship, and worked in numerous positions at the Lilly Library.

--
Rachel Makarowski, MLS
Special Collections Librarian

"Don't tell me women are not the stuff of heroes" - Qiu Jin

*Miami University is located within the traditional homelands of the
Myaamia and Shawnee people, who along with other indigenous groups ceded
these lands to the United States in the first Treaty of Greenville in 1795.
The Miami people, whose name our university carries, were forcibly removed
from these homelands in 1846.*