[OPLINLIST] Re: Concealment, part 2

Don Yarman OPLIN yarmando@oplin.org
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:01:54 -0400

Jeff Greek writes:

> Hey Don, if you see this, I hope you'll give me/us the courtesy of deleting
> these beta messages just before the NEW, IMPROVED OPLINLIST goes live.

As I said in the invitation to test, I do not yet have a way to
delete individual posts from the archives.  What we say during
testing may be available for posterity.  There is apparently a
way to edit the archive file directly on the server, a dangerous
thing to do, in my opinion, but it might be an experiment worth
attempting.

Elsewhere, Jeff said:

> Well, let's see if this message conceals the sender.
>
> If my email address shows up then we'll know there's something not quite so
> intuitive about the customization interface.

The option "Conceal yourself from the subscriber list" does not
allow someone to post anonymously.  It hides an e-mail address
from the roster of list subscribers.  List members can access
that roster from the OPLINLIST info page.

Based on Jeff's experiment, I altered the wording of the option,
so that instead of "Conceal yourself from the subscriber list" it
now reads "Conceal yourself from the roster of subscribers."

Such subscriber rosters are a handy resource for spammers.  I
had originally thought to forbid access to the roster, but since
individuals have the option for individuals to conceal themselves,
and since the roster does not display machine-readable e-mail
addresses, I thought I'd make the roster available to subscribers.
What do you think?

    Your most humble and obedient servant,

                         Don Yarman
                         OPLIN Library Services Manager