[OPLINLIST] Dealing with Graffiti

Weinstein, Robin RWeinstein@mailserv.gcpl.lib.oh.us
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:28:02 -0500

Hi, Everyone,

Merry Christmas!

Our downstairs restrooms serve the young adult, adult fiction, and =
children's areas, in addition to the meeting room. The bathroom =
entrances can't be seen from the juvenile desk. A recent spate of =
graffiti writing and etching necessitated that the stall partitions in =
the girl's restroom (two toilets) be sanded and repainted (unfortunately =
the City cannot afford graffiti-resistant paint). Once the partitions =
were reinstalled, the graffiti reappeared.

We do regular bathroom checks and have security cameras monitoring the =
hallway outside of the restrooms. In addition we've posted signage, =
restricted access to the bathroom keys, and installed storeroom locks on =
the restroom doors.  Still, the problem persists and I'm afraid our oak =
doors in the restrooms are next.

How have you dealt with this problem?

Robin Weinstein
Head Librarian
Fairborn Community Library
1 E. Main St.
Fairborn, OH 45324
Voice: (937) 878-9383, Ext. 201
Fax: (937) 878-0374

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always =
gotten."