[OPLINLIST] Assessing Community Needs

Michael VollmarGrone vollmami@oplin.org
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:58:25 -0500

Hello,

We=92re currently looking at methods of assessing Community Needs=20
regarding the Public Library.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what techniques have been successful? =

Currently considerations include compiling Best Practices, and=20
contracting for a Community Survey and Focus Group. We=92ve previously=20
conducted Internal and Voluntary Surveying within the library building.=20
Those are fine for users, and the data collected helped refine and=20
establish programs, but now we=92re looking for a broader view.

Also would be interested in recommendations of agencies that have=20
produced useful results with public library surveying. Basically, we=92re=
=20
looking for practical ideas that can be accomplished with limited resourc=
es.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.
--=20

Michael Vollmar-Grone