[OPLINLIST] NOVELIST NOTES (Dec): New Interface, Series Search This Winter!

Lynne Rohweder LRohweder@epnet.com
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:15:32 -0500

NoveList Notes					December, 2004
Please share by forwarding to any other colleagues who would benefit from
this content.

 New Tabbed Interface and Enhancements in Our Series Search for NoveList
Coming This Winter!

	A new look and series displayed in reading order are just two of the
new features in the upcoming latest upgrade of NoveList. Version 5.2
completes the updating and expansion of NoveList that we began this fall
with the release of version 5.1 (see the October NoveList Note for details
about version 5.1). Popularity sorting and phonetic search help are two more
of the customer-requested enhancements contained in this release.
	New Tabbed Interface:
	Previous versions of NoveList required users to scroll down the page
to see all of the search options and content available in NoveList.
	Like many other popular websites, we have adopted a tab-oriented
interface that reduces the amount of scrolling required by our users.  Tabs
that take readers to NoveList's various features and search options now
appear across the top of the page.  The product looks like this:

	 <<...OLE_Obj...>>

	WHAT'S AT EACH OF THE TABS:

	Home Tab: Similar to the current version, the Home tab will have
current highlights or new features.

	Search Our Database Tab: Takes users to the list of searching
options currently found in the product:

		*	Find a Favorite Author
		*	Find a Favorite Title
		*	Find a Series Name
		*	Describe a Plot
		*	Boolean Search
		*	Article and List Search*

	*You will also see our new Article and List Search, which allows you
to search Author Read-alikes, Book Discussion Guides, Annotated Book Lists,
and our other features. You can use the search to find all of the items that
are either about or mention Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible, including all of
the annotated booklists that discuss this title.

	Browse Lists Tab: The links found at this tab are the links to
pre-made lists such as:

		*	Best Fiction (award lists)
		*	Explore Fiction (genre and topic lists)

	For Readers Tab: This category was called "Read about Popular Titles
and Topics" on the New Search page of previous versions of NoveList.  The
current links available at this tab include many of your favorites:
		*	Author Read-Alikes
		*	Book Discussion Guides
		*	BookTalks
		*	Annotated Book Lists (formerly known as Feature
Articles)
		*	What We're Reading - You will see this brand new
feature in January (look for more information about it in future Notes).

	Readers' Advisory Tab: This tab is designed for Readers' Advisory
staff and the material in it used to be in the "For Staff Only" link.  It
includes training and reference materials of special interest for those
involved in Readers' Advisory.

	School Resources Tab:  The materials found at this tab have been
slightly reorganized but are the same materials that were available from the
"Features for Teachers" button in the current version of NoveList.

	Note that the tabs for NoveList K-8 will be the same as they are in
the current product.
	Series:
	Titles in series will display in reading order.
	 <<...OLE_Obj...>>

	WHAT YOU WILL SEE:  The above screen shot is the top of the search
results page after selecting "Search a Series Name" and entering
"unfortunate event" in the Find box of the upcoming release of NoveList.
Note that the series is now listed in series order with the volume listed on
the series page.
	If you enter a term that retrieves more than one series name, your
results list will display a list of series names for you. For example, if
you enter "Dune"-you would be provided with links to three separate series:
Dune novels; Prelude to Dune, Legends of Dune. The reader could then select
the specific series they were looking for and receive a list of the titles
for that series.
	Popularity Sorting:
	With our new popularity sorting feature, you can find a list of
science fiction titles published in the last five years and then be able to
show your readers which ones have been the most popular.
	 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Popular titles are starred to alert you to
titles with high demand.  Our popularity information is gathered from
thousands of libraries and retail outlets nationwide and is based on
ordering information received from Baker & Taylor. If the book has met the
popularity criteria, a series of one to four stars will be displayed to
indicate the popularity factor for the title.

	Phonetic Search Help:
	You no longer have to try and remember whether it is "Tolkein" or
"Tolkien."  If you enter the incorrect one, our new phonetic search help
feature will prompt you with the correct spelling of the author's name.
	A New Version, A New Year and A New Decade for NoveList:
	This year marks the beginning of not only a new year but a new
decade for NoveList. Since our beginning in 1994, we have grown from helping
the staff in one library to helping the staffs in 50% of the public
libraries in the United States guide their readers to the books that are
just right for them.
	All of the improvements in this version of NoveList have been
suggested by you - our users. It has been our privilege to be a part of your
efforts to meet the reading needs of your users. All of us at NoveList feel
that this year will bring you and your readers many satisfying reading
experiences and it is our hope that NoveList was the resource that pointed
you to them.