[OPLINLIST] Too thin for the shelves, too important to toss

dallen@cuyahogafallslibrary.org dallen@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Mon, 24 May 2004 12:16:52 -0400 (EDT)

Good morning all,

I'm sitting here looking at Ohio Cancer Facts and Figures, from the
American Cancer Society and the Ohio Department of Health.  It's basically
a thick pamphlet - 69 numbered pages counting the inside back cover - with
a fairly light paper cover.  Reference wants it cataloged and in the
collection, and quite justifiably so because the content is excellent.
However, the form creates problems.

If we catalog and process it like a book, it will either be invisible
between two larger books or it will be bent\warped\shredded.  Or possibly
both.

We have the tail end of a pamphlet file, but are in the process of getting
rid of it.  Adding it to the pamphlet file isn't an option.

We could have it professionally bound, but that means spending a lot of
money on something that will be superceded in a few years if not a few
months.

Years ago, we used various inhouse bindings.  They worked, but they were
more ugly than than dog vomit on a white carpet.  And I haven't seen them
in catalogs recently.  (Not that I've looked hard, mind you.)

I doubt that there's a perfect solution out there, but I'm curious.  What
do other people do with things like this?

David Allen
Acq & Cat Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library