[OPLINLIST] Gaming Policy/Procedures Thank-You

Amy Garrett garrett110@yahoo.com
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:37:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,
A big thank-you to all who responded to my question
about gaming policies and procedures. You might wish
to know what other libraries in the state are doing
and how they are handling this issue:

First of all, nobody that responded has or utilizes a
"gaming policy".

A majority of respondees limits patrons to how many
times (day) a patron may sign-up for a computer and
for how long (majority was split between 30 minutes &
1-hour per day).

For one library, anybody doing homework, "trumps"
gamers.

For another library (one that limits time), the
library also prohibits activities that "waste network
time" such as recreational games and online
conversations.

Another library's filter is set to prohibit gaming and
chat sites and that library "reserves the right to
limit or restrict use of the INTERNET as it deems
appropriate to optimize the public's use of this
valuable resource".

Based on this research, we have decided not to develop
and implement a policy/procedure of this type, at this
time.

Thanks again for your time and feedback on this topic.
Amy

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud" -- Sophocles

Amy Garrett
Head of Adult Services
Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library
3512 Darrow Rd. Stow, OH  44224