[OPLINLIST] Two AV processing questions: DVD overlays and CD sleeves

dallen@cuyahogafallslibrary.org dallen@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Wed, 4 May 2005 17:04:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Everyone,

Two points where I'm curious to know what other libraries do:

We use 3M overlays with security strips in them on DVDs, and have
occasional problems with patrons trying to pull the overlay off.
According to 3M, the best practice for applying them involves cleaning the
disk with alcohol and letting it dry for up to 72 hours.

Seventy-two hours is totally impractical.  However, the disks we clean
with alcohol don't have overlay problems.

Do other libraries do alcohol cleaning?  If so, how long do you find that
the disks need to dry?

Also...

When we have a book on CD, or some other multi-CD combination, we put the
disks in a clamshell case with sleeves if the publisher doesn't ship them
that way.  Generally, we have used clear polyester sleeves.

Recently, Circulation sent back a book on CD where the lettering had
almost rubbed off one of the disks, and they could no longer read it.  We
called the manufacturer to see if there was a replacement available.  The
manufacturer told the person who called that they had had so many
complaints about that that they had stopped using the polyester sleeves
and replaced them with woven fiber ones.

We haven't had many problems with worn-illegible disks so far, but...

Has anyone else heard of this?  Has anyone changed to the other type of
sleeve,and how is it working for you?

TIA,

David Allen
Coordinator, Cataloging and Acquisitions
Cuyahoga Falls Library