[OPLINLIST] insurance coverage questions

Karen Sonderman sonderka@oplin.org
Wed, 25 May 2005 12:18:12 -0400

Hello,
We are looking at our insurance coverage as a result of having both the
library and our art gallery's fine arts collection appraised this past year.
The question we have is for those of you who display collections of value in
galleries or lounge areas etc. that do not belong to the library. What, if
any, responsibility does the library take for loss of or damage to displayed
items?  Do you have a form that exempts the library from any insurance
liability and/or do you insist that people who display in the library carry
insurance?
Our agent has informed us that our policy does not cover loss or damage to
property the library does not own. If this is the case for you, do you
inform people who display that the library insurance does not cover their
items?  Does the libraryoffer any recompense for damage or loss, independent
of insurance?
Bear in mind, I am not talking about salt and pepper shaker or koala bear
collections (although I am sure they have great value to their owners), but
one of a kind original artwork.

Karen Sonderman, Director
North Canton Public Library
185 North Main Street