[OPLINLIST] What's New on NetWellness

Kishman, Charles (kishmacp) KISHMACP@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:03:36 -0400

What's New on NetWellness - September 6, 2005

September's Feature: Prostate Cancer Awareness - for yourself, for your
family

Prostate Cancer is one of the most common cancers and is the leading
cause of cancer-related death in men in the United States.  African
American men have an incidence rate that is nearly double that of any
other ethnic group.  The disease can often be cured with early detection
and proper treatment.  For more information on prostate cancer, see our
monthly feature and visit NetWellness expert Martin Resnick, MD,
Chairman and Professor, Department of Urology,  School of Medicine, Case
Western Reserve University who is available to answer your questions
about prostate cancer.

Just in Time for the New School Year! =20

They may be just peanuts to you, but for an estimated 1.5 million
Americans, these protein-packed legumes are responsible for causing
allergic reactions that can be life-threatening.  Under the guidance of
Mary M. Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, Assistant Professor, Director,
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program,  College of Nursing,  The Ohio
State University, doctoral students Jill Killanowski, MSN, RN, CPNP and
Ann Stalter, MS, RN have detailed some of the latest information
regarding the increase in peanut sensitivity and what measures can be
taken to safeguard your child.  Be sure to read Peanut Allergy in the
School Environment: Myths and Facts: Part 1 as well as Peanut Allergy in
the School Environment: Myths and Facts: Part 2 and share the
information with your local school officials.

Department of the Month - OSU Division of Athletic Training

You may not know us, but you've probably seen us on the field taking
care of injured Buckeye athletes.  The Ohio State University's Division
of Athletic Training occupies a unique role by having one foot in OSU's
School of Allied Medical Professions while the other is firmly planted
in OSU Athletics. With a tradition that spans over 60 years, our faculty
form the backbone of athletic healthcare for Ohio State's nearly 1000
student athletes while our accredited undergraduate program in Athletic
Training prepares some of the best Certified Athletic Trainers (ATCs) in
the nation.=20

Although the name of our profession sometimes gives the mistaken
impression that we are fitness professionals, ATCs are actually
healthcare providers who specialize in sports medicine and
musculoskeletal injuries.  Athletes aren't the only ones who benefit
from the care provided by ATCs.  While we are best known for our work in
sports medicine, you may not know that ATCs also provide care to
patients with musculoskeletal injuries and disorders in other settings
like outpatient clinics, physician offices, hospitals, and even
occupational / industrial locations.  You can learn more about ATCs and
what we do from the National Athletic Trainers Association.

Our team of experts can answer your athletic training questions:  Angela
Justina Beisner, MA, ATC; Jamie Birkelo, MA, ATC; Jeffery A. Bright, MS,
ATC/L; Doug Calland, MS, ATC; Bill R. Davis, MS, ATC; Chalisa Fonza, MA,
ATC; Brenda M. Klein, MEd, ATC; Mark A. Merrick, PhD, ATC; Todd C.
Miller, MEd, ATC; Vince J. O'Brien, ATC; Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC; Robert
W. Sweeney, MS, ATC.

African American Health Postcard
=20
NetWellness is happy to have any interested parties print and distribute
a postcard we have developed to let people know about the African
American Health Center.  We encourage professionals to use the postcard
to send their clients or patients to NetWellness for more information on
African American health and other health information from more than 100
health topics.

New Articles on Incontinence
 =20
NetWellness Expert, Martin Resnik, MD, has authored a new series of
articles on Incontinence.  They include an Incontinence Overview,
Incontinence and the Body, Treatment Options,  Incontinence and Staying
Healthy, and Risk Factors.  You can find these articles and more in our
Incontinence health topic area.=20

Diabetes: New Expert!

NetWellness welcomes W. Fred Miser, MD, Associate Professor of Family
Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, College of Medicine and Public
Health, The Ohio State University as an expert in Diabetes.  Dr. Miser
joins Robert M. Cohen, MD., Associate Professor, Division of
Endocrinology and Metabolism,  Department of Internal Medicine, College
of Medicine, =20
University of Cincinnati;  Oormila P. Kovilam, MD, Associate Professor,
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology,  College of Medicine, University
of Cincinnati; Nancy J. Morwessel, CNP, MSN, CDE, Pediatric Nurse
Practitioner, Diabetes Center, Children's Hospital Medical Center,
University of Cincinnati, and Laurie Sadler, MD, Medical Director, Lipid
Research Center, Lipid Research Center, St. Vincent Charity Hospital,
School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University.

Smoking and Tobacco: New Expert!

NetWellness welcomes Phyllis L. Pirie, PhD, Chair and Professor,
Division of Health Behavior and Health Promotion, School of Public
Health at The Ohio State University as an expert in Smoking and Tobacco.
Dr. Pirie's research includes programs that prevent smoking by youth and
programs that curb smoking by pregnant women, including studies on the
effects of second-hand smoke on infants and children.  She joins several
colleagues in this Ask an Expert forum.

It's our Tenth anniversary - Let Us Know How We're Doing=20

As we near our tenth year on the internet, we are gathering anecdotes
about how NetWellness is helping our users meet their health information
needs. Do you have any stories or experiences you would like to share?
If so, please use our Feedback feature to tell us about them.=20
And don't forget, we are always trying to improve to meet your needs.
What do we do well? What can we do to better fit your needs? Send your
comments through our Feedback and we'll get them into the right hands.
Thanks again for using NetWellness!=20

About NetWellness

NetWellness is a non-profit consumer health Web site that provides high
quality information created and evaluated by health professions faculty
at the University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University, and
The Ohio State University. Started in June 1995, NetWellness was one of
the first health information sites on the Internet.=20