[OPLINLIST] TEL/TABOR Amendment

Mike Hensel henselmi at oplin.org
Thu Apr 13 11:00:06 EDT 2006

FYI - OPLIN Libraries:

If you are not aware of it - Secretary of State and candidate for Governor
Ken Blackwell has authored the Tax and Expenditure Limitation
(TEL)/Taxpayer's Bill of Rights (TABOR) constitutional amendment to be voted
on in the November, 2006 election.  If passed, it could cause substantial
hardships for local governments, schools and public libraries regarding
funding.

The Ohio Library Council has written a brief overview of the amendment and
its possible impact on institutions and organizations that rely on community
tax dollars for financial support.  The link to the page is
http://www.olc.org/TELTABOR.asp.

As stated by OLC - we (libraries) are encouraged to inform the public of the
TEL amendment, we just need to be mindful that we cannot tell people how
they should vote on the issue.

Mike Hensel

Communications and Marketing Manager

London Public Library