[OPLINLIST] Tax form distribution survey

Jeff Regensburger jregensb at worthingtonlibraries.org
Sat Apr 29 09:54:28 EDT 2006

Last week I submitted a brief questionnaire to the OPLIN list to find
out how other libraries are handling tax form distribution. I received

Cleveland Heights University Heights PL
Westlake Porter
East Palestine
Marysville
Grandview Heights
Lorain
Medina County
Hudson
Tiffin Seneca
Kaubisch
Logan County
Wornstaff
Wilmington
Huron Public
Way Public
Delphos
Martins Ferry
Carroll County
Delaware
Chillicothe Ross
Troy Miami
Auglaize County
Harbor Public
Worthington Libraries

It's worth noting that many of the responses came from smaller and often
rural locations (none of the major metro systems sent replies). This
might be worth considering as you look at the results.

The questions and the responses were as follows:

*	Does your library currently participate in the federal and state
tax form distribution service?

Yes - 30
No - 0

*	Briefly, explain why your library does or does not provide this
service.

Numerous reasons were given for why libraries provide this service.
Below are those reasons ranked from the most often cited the to least
often cited. (Note: many respondents provided multiple reasons).

1. The library is the only place patrons can get forms -  17 mentions

3. Providing forms is good customer service and/or a valuable service to
the community - 13 mentions

2. Patrons expect this service - 10 mentions

4. Not all patrons have access to or know how to use computers - 4
mentions

5. Providing forms brings people to the library - 1 mention

6. Providing forms is cheaper than what it would cost to print them - 1
mention

*	If your library does distribute tax forms, how would you
describe the level of service you provide (pick the one that best
describes your library):

        A) Comprehensive - We provide a wide range of print forms and do
our best to make sure patrons leave with the forms they need. We provide
additional tax support in the form of programs, handouts, or
partnerships with other groups. We actively assist patrons in locating
and downloading forms online. We keep our print forms in close proximity
to the public service desks so staff are available to help patrons.

        B) Cursory - We provide only a limited number of forms. We keep
these in the lobby or away from the public service desks. Public service
staff will help patrons locate tax forms, but it's not a top priority.

        C) Somewhere in between - Probably closer to A, though we do not
provide programming. We do refer patrons to agencies who might be better
able to assist them with tax questions

A. Comprehensive - 19 votes
B. Cursory - 3 votes
C. Somewhere in between - 8 votes

*	Has your library discussed dropping or scaling back tax form
distribution services for patrons?

Yes - 10
No - 13

(Of the libraries that answered yes, only two have discussed dropping
forms altogether. The rest of the"Yes" responses were in reference to
scaling back services)

*	Additional Comments
Many additional comments were provided. These are available upon
request.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this survey. If you have
additional questions or comments please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Regensburger
Adult Services Librarian
Northwest Library
2280 Hard Road