[OPLINLIST] Project Management: An Interactive Videoconference

SWON Libraries info at swonlibraries.org
Mon Aug 28 09:50:08 EDT 2006

*This announcement has been posted to several lists.  Our apologies for
any duplication.
*Please forward this message to all interested parties.

    Project Management for Solo Librarians: Part I - Mastering the
    Project Map
    Solo Management and Leadership - An Interactive Videoconference
    <http://www.swonlibraries.org/viewevent?id=834>

In the first segment, we will investigate the project map and learn how
to apply the skills of the manager (pausing, planning, communicating)
and the leader (risking, anticipating, influencing) to improve
productivity, not just the skills of the task-oriented professional
(reacting, focusing, self-governing).

This presentation is for those who work alone, who have multiple
supervisors, or who are looking for ways to improve the productivity
when staff is cut and budgets collapse. It is also useful for frontline
supervisors who want to improve workplace performance. It is designed
for people with at least two years' of workplace experience and would be
considered for an intermediate class.

Co-Sponsored by the Cincinnati Chapter of the Special Libraries
Association <http://units.sla.org/chapter/ccin/index.asp>

      Date

Wednesday, September 13th, 2006

      Time

1:30 p.m.-4:00 p.m.

      Location

SWON Libraries Office <http://www.swonlibraries.org/directions>

      Speaker(s)

Pat Wagner, of Pattern Research <http://www.pattern.com/>, will teach
this seminar using Click U Live! interactive videoconferencing. Click U
Live!, formerly known as the Virtual Learning Series, enables users to
participate in web seminars and interact with the speaker and other
participants. Join us for this seminar and a discussion, following the
presentation.

      Description

This two-part seminar series addresses making hard choices, mastering
the project map, creating a working strategic plan for special and
ongoing projects, communicating expectations and negotiating the ratios
among cost, time and quality with multiple customers. These seminars are
designed to complement one another. You may register for either Part I
or Part II to suit your interest and skill level; however, taking Part I
will help you get more out of Part II.

*Critical Learning Questions*
- What do we have to give up in order to stay relevant to our customers'
changing needs?
- What will keep us anchored to our goals on a busy day despite
interruptions and conflicting demands?
- Which better project management practices can we apply immediately,
even when we don't have enough time, money or staff to do what we think
is right?

      Contributing Member of SWON Libraries

$5

      SLA-Cincinnati Member

$5

      Contributing Member of NEO-RLS, NORWELD, SERLS, or Friend of SWON
      Libraries

$5

      Other

$20

The deadline to register is Tuesday, September 12th, 2006