[OPLINLIST] Young Adult Lock-in

Ann Pechacek apechace at worthingtonlibraries.org
Mon Feb 27 12:01:10 EST 2006

Hi everyone, I originally sent this to Sandra but since we have so much
fun with our sleepovers I thought that maybe other people would be
interested.

The Worthington Libraries has two teen advisory boards, one at the
Northwest Library and one at the Old Worthington Library. In the past
four years we have held four very successful teen sleepovers. All of the
sleepovers are by invitation only. The teens we invite are members of
both advisory boards and select teen who volunteer year round.

Some of the issues and rules that have come up in the past.

1.	Advisory members have to attend and participate in at least half
of the meetings throughout the year. This gives them an incentive to
consistently show for the monthly meetings. We have never had more than
30 teens at once.
2.	We hold only one per year and alternate libraries every year. It
is always a January program, though we did have a very successful
Halloween sleepover.
3.	Every teen that plans to participate in the sleepover has to
have a signed permission slip, we have the teen sign a code of conduct
and the parents are required to sign the same code plus a release form
4.	The main issue for us is the amount of staff time to cover the
sleepover. We always have at least 8-10 staff (this includes the two
teen librarians) from 8-12 and we try to have the two teen librarians
plus 2 staff members stay overnight. Children's librarians are great at
staying overnight. It depends on your library if the staff volunteers or
if they will get compensated for the hours worked. So the real issue is
scheduling to make up for the hours worked at the sleepover. A manager
or librarian in charge should always be at the sleepover.
5.	We always have one group activity whether it is a life size
monopoly game, mystery night or a Halloween haunt. This activity is a
way to get both groups to interact and to insure at least all teens
participate in one activity. After the group fun the teens can do what
they want, watch movies, play board games, knit, sleep, read, play on
the computers, etc.
6.	Make sure the building facilities staff know what you are
planning and also contact the local police so if they see people roaming
inside at 3am they don't worry.

________________________________

Here is our general outline we follow every year.

SLEEPOVER STAFF-VOLUNTEERS
8-12:

GENERAL SLEEPOVER ACTIVITIES

8:00 - 8:30 Teens congregate in Meeting Room

8:30 - 8:50 Get settled, restrooms, kitchen, rules and expectations,
icebreakers

9:00 - 10:00 pizza

10:00 - 12:00 Group Activity

12:00 -- 2:00 movie, board games or computer time

2:00 -- 6:00 sleepy time or other quiet activities - board games,
reading, crafting etc

6:00 WAKE UP CALL, breakfast, cleanup

7:00 - parents pick up

FOOD
Pizza

Pop/Juice (supplied by Teens)

Chips and Pretzels

Donuts and Bagels (breakfast)

RULES

*      Stay in the Meeting Room and only go into the rest of the library
with Adult Chaperone

*      Someone will patrol all night

*      All teens to participate in programs/activities until 1am - then
they can go to bed or stay up - their choice

*      Be respectful of other peoples property

*      Be respectful of the library

*      Cleanup will take place at 8:30am -all will help!

*      Listen to the adult chaperones

*      2 strikes - your going home

I hope this helps and have fun.

Ann P