[OPLINLIST] 1 Book, 1 State, 1 Movie - Call for interest

Rebecca Felkner RFELKNER at sloma.state.oh.us
Wed Jul 5 11:33:01 EDT 2006

Apologies for cross postings.

The State Library of Ohio is investigating the interest level of
creating a 'One Book, One Movie, One State' program based upon the Big
Read initiative.   All interested libraries are asked to respond to
Rebecca Felkner, rfelkner at sloma.state.oh.us, at the State Library by
Friday, July 14.   If there is enough interest, the State Library will
apply for an IMLS/NEA grant to implement the Big Read in Ohio.

The State Library intends to act as the facilitator for such a one book
program and as the point library when contracting with film and/or book
distributors and possible speakers.   By joining Ohio libraries together
in this project, the State Library hopes to negotiate lower prices and
coordinate cost sharing of speakers' fees, film presentation rights,
state-wide publicity, author Web pages, etc.  We will also create a
clearinghouse of ideas about how to work with and form partnerships with
organizations within your own communities.

There are several issues to discuss regarding this possible One Book
project.   We welcome your input and questions.   This statewide program
will be open to all types of libraries.

Please contact Rebecca Felkner, rfelkner at sloma.state.oh.us, at the State
Library by Friday, July 14 to indicate your level of interest in a One
Book, One Movie, One State project.    More information on The Big Read,
including eligible titles, can be found at www.neabigread.org.