[OPLINLIST] disc repair machines

Jeff Regensburger jregensb at worthingtonlibraries.org
Wed Jul 26 17:36:16 EDT 2006

Gail,

I didn't notice an alternate e-mail address, so I'll respond to the
list.

Our tech service manager offers the following tips on disk resurfacing
machines:

 " Perhaps a good place to start is the Library Journal article from
5/15/04 that rates resurfacing machines.  It gave its top recommendation
to JFJ's dry machines (cheaper than wet machines, but not as likely to
repair consistently well as the wet units) and to RTI's machines (from
the article:  "This unit is extremely durable, yet has a relatively
small footprint. Its precision controls consistently turn out a disc in
top condition. Eco-Junior is the best overall choice for most libraries
looking for a more-expensive, wet-method machine.")

Worthington Public Library looked at all the options at ALA, called
libraries with machines, and considered the LJ article; we bought an RTI
ECO Senior (newer than when LJ came out, when only ECO Junior was
available).

It was not inexpensive--the RTI machine and a disc checker (an
accompanying computer that reads the discs for errors, so one does not
have to play them in a DVD or CD machine) cost $8,995.

It also requires maintenance: 4 pads resurface one disc at a time (one
can buy a more expensive model to resurface and check 50 discs at a
time--great for a major metropolitan library, perhaps); the pads must be
changed, and more must be purchased about every 6 months or so; the
machine must be stocked with distilled water and two types of
resurfacing compound.  One can set it on any of 6 settings, from a
simple clean down to a deep grind that will attack nearly any deep
gouge.

It makes a thumping noise at times which some staff find unpleasant.

Does it work?  Oh, yes!  It will not fix cracked discs, which must be
replaced.  Since purchasing it, however, we have successfully resurfaced
1,234 of the 1,396 discs we have put into it--88.4% successful.  It
takes discs with scratches, baby tooth marks (yes . . . and what parents
let their children do that?), gouges, and the general appearance of
having been used as a Frisbee and makes them look and play like new.
CDs can seemingly be resurfaced an infinite number of times.  DVDs, at
least on the deepest setting, can be resurfaced about 15 to 20.

Why won't it fix all discs?--well, some are simply too badly damaged to
fix, goged nearly all the way through.  If the top of a disc is badly
scratched and the data is corrupted, nothing fixes it very well.
Sometimes running a disc through a second time on the "deep" or "medium"
mode fixes scratches not removed on the lighter modes.

We calculate that even after buying supplies, it has saved us over
$20,000 (about $21,595) in replacement disc costs.  That figure does not
count the extra costs associated with acquisitions and processing
staff--it is simply disc cost.  It has paid for itself twice over in 11
months.  It has never given a hint of mechanical trouble.

One could (though we have not) perhaps recoup some of the costs by
charging 25 or 50 cents to repair patrons' discs, only charging if the
machine is successful at resurfacing them.

Some of the less expensive dry machines might work well.  The ALA Trade
Show still has several different vendors with competing prodcuts.  We
are not saying the RTI is best.  We have experience only with the RTI
and have not done a detailed comparison.  We will say that the RTI ECO
Senior works excellently and has saved us a considerable amount of
money."

Hope this helps,

Jeff Regensburger on behalf of Michael Blackwell
Worthington Libraries

  _____