[OPLINLIST] Cash bonus in lieu of health insurance

Mary Novak novakma at oplin.org
Fri Jun 9 10:36:44 EDT 2006

Several of our staff members are interested in receiving a cash bonus in lieu of health insurance coverage.  These staff members are covered under their spouses' health insurance plan.  This could be advantageous to the library, because the library would not have to pay those employees' health insurance premiums.

We would appreciate hearing from any library that offers a cash bonus in lieu of health insurance coverage.  How do you determine the amount of the cash bonus?  When is it paid: with every pay check, semi-annually, annually?  Are there other employee benefit options associated with this?   Has it been worthwhile for both the library and the staff members?

Thank you for taking the time to answer this query.

Mary Novak, Director
novakma at oplin.org
Franklin Public Library
(937) 746-2665