[OPLINLIST] CHARLOTTE'S WEB PROGRAM...

Barb Scott barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 16:42:30 EST 2006

On November 25th, 2006, the Bucyrus Public Library presented a Charlotte's Web program in advance on the new live-action movie coming to theatres in December!

  As participants arrived, each was given a spider web nametag by Children's Librarian Barbara Scott.  The spider web die was purchased through Ellison.

  Participants were shown a short Powerpoint presenation that presented facts about the book Charlotte's Web and its author, E. B. White.  They found out that all three classic books by White (Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan) began as stories that White made up for his nieces and nephews and that Charlotte's Web was a Newbery Honor book for the year 1953, losing out to The Secret of the Andes, which won  the award that year.  A short quiz about the book was included in the presentation, as well as a short quiz on spiders!

  Participants were then released to five different craft tables to make Charlotte's Web-themed crafts  They were:

  1.  WILBUR THE PIG MASK--Masks shaped like a pig's face, complete with ears were to be colored.  The eye holes were cut out and the mask itself attached to a craft stick so that the child could hold the mask up in front of their face.

  2.  "SOME PIG" COLORING SHEET--A picture of Wilbur the pig with the words "SOME PIG" above him were given to participants to color and to hand in.  These pictures were kept and displayed along with photos of the day's event.

  3.  CHARLOTTE THE SPIDER CRAFT--This craft was taken from the book by Kathryn Totten Storytime Crafts.  It was just a simple rectangle, which made the spider's body when stapled into a cylinder.  Legs were then attached, either by gluing or stapling to the bottom.  The craft was colored before it was put together.  Stick-on eyes in different styles were also available for use.

  4.  LET'S MAKE A FARM WREATH--These pre-packaged crafts were purchased from S and S Worldwide.  All pieces (cardboard circle base and foam animals and barns) were included in the bag to construction a cool foam wreath!

  5.  MR. ZUCKERMAN AND LURVY STICK PUPPETS--The characters of Zuckerman and Lurvy were colored, cut out, and then glued onto craft sticks to make them into puppets.

  Participants were treated to refreshments, which consisted of cookies, popcorn, GORP made with peanuts, raisins, small Oreo cookies and candy corn, and punch.

  Before leaving, each participant received a goodie bag with 2 spider rings, several small plastic spider tops, Charlotte's Web tattoos, a holographic bookmark and a colorful rubber band bracelet (THANKS LISA FOR THE GOODIES).

  I have patterns available for all of the crafts, as well as puzzle handouts.  I would also be glad to share my Powerpoint presentation, should anyone desire it.  Please email me at barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com if you'd like them.  If you are an Ohio Library, I can send stuff via US CARGO.  If you are not an Ohio library, please provide me with a complete snail mail address!

  Barbara Scott, Children's Librarian
  Bucyrus Public Library
  Bucyrus, OH  44820