[OPLINLIST] Sisters Grimm Program...

Barb Scott barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 16:10:54 EDT 2006

On October 28th, 2006, the Bucyrus Public Library would have presented a program featuring the Sister Grimm series of books by Ohio author ( and now New York City resident) Michael Buckley.  Due to many other things going on in the community that day (Halloween parades and other holiday activities), there was a very, very small sign-up, so the program was cancelled.

  Be that as it may, I wanted to post my program ideas for anyone wanting to do a Sisters Grimm program.

  I had prepared a Powerpoint presentation using information from Michael Buckley's site (which I believe is www.sistersgrimm.com) which introduced the characters of the series and the plot line.  That is available if anyone would like it.

  The crafts that I had planned for the afternoon were:

  1.  Jack in the Beanstalk Bean Craft--Use Styrofoam cups, potting soil, and 3-4 bean seeds.  Fill the cup halfway with potting soil.  Plant the seed and then cover with soil until the pot is about 3/4 of the way full.  Water the plant.  Have participants take hone and place in a sunny spot and keep watered.  They will be surprised how quickly their plants grow with a little TLC!

  2.  Snow White Toilet Paper Tube Craft--Particpants were to color and cut out all of the pieces that made up Snow White and her outfit.  Pieces were glued to the TP tube to create a lovely Snow White figure.  Snow White, in the Sisters Grimm series, is a school teacher at the Ferryport Landing elementary school!

  3.  Let's Make a Wolf Paper Bag Puppet--Mr. Canis is the friend of Relda Grimm, who is the Sisters Grimm's grandmother.  For those who know Latin, "canis" is the word for wolf or dog.  Pieces comprising the wolf's body are colored and then glued onto a paper bag. Googly eyes or sticker eyes were to be used to cover the black pupils to make cool eyes for the wolf!

  4.  Let's Color Prince Charming--Prince Charming is the Mayor of Ferryport Landing, the town where all of the Ever Afters (fairy tale folk) live.  This craft was the one that would have been turned in as the children finished it.  This was simply a coloring page of Prince Charming (from Cinderella) in his royal best.  These coloring sheets would have been displayed with pictures taken.

  5.  Let's Make  Royal Crown--Crown kits were purchased from J and A Crafts.  Kits come with gold crowns that can be adjusted to size, along with feathers, jewels, and stickers with which to decorate them.

  I would be glad to send patterns to anyone who would like them, as well as burning copies of my ppt. presentation, should you want it.  If you are an Ohio library and have US Cargo, I can send that way.  Otherwise, please provide me with a snail mail address!

  Barbara Scott, Children's Librarian
  Bucyrus Public Library

http://mail.yahoo.com