[OPLINLIST] Reading Dogs

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Thu Apr 19 14:30:39 EDT 2007

Pam -

I'm in the Xenia Library & this request comes to me by way of a forward.
If it is not getting to the right person, would someone who gets it
please forward appropriately.

We have done "Paws to Read" in this library for several years, although
we will not be doing it this year.  We have done it once a week in the
summers.  The first time for 8 weeks, thereafter, for only 4.

We have held registration & not held registration, here it doesn't seem
to make a difference.  Typically we have children who come to all of the
sessions & also children who only come once or twice.  Last year we gave
a certificate to children who attended all 4  sessions, & still got lots
of once only kids.  It is uncommon to have more than 12-14 readers at
any one session.  We also seem to have about an equal number of
"petters" in younger siblings & kids who just happen to be in the
library.

The 1st several years we found our own dogs with various therapy dog
certifications, 1 belonged to my daughter, a couple to local teachers,
some through a nearby dog club & some through 4-H.  Last year a woman
with Miami Valley Pet Therapy Association did all the scheduling and
that group provided dogs for similar programs throughout our Greene
County system.

Some sort of therapy dog certification is essential.  This provides
insurance to the dogs & handlers.  Certification ranges from TDI which
is little more than Canine Good Citizen & means the dog is reasonably
well behaved, through Delta Certificates which mean dog & handler have
had extensive training & are welcome in almost any hospital in the
country.  We have never had an incident of any sort, but it might also
be appropriate to check how your own library insurance works.

We have usually had 4 dogs at a time.  We say the program is for 1 hour,
but that varies depending on the number of readers & whether the handler
can stay longer on a given day.  Dogs have never been here more than an
hour & a half.  Four is a good number for our space, we have a teen
area, 2 spaces in the children's area, & a story room where we put dogs.
Sometimes we have dogs who do tricks or "dance" & we plan time for the
dogs to show off as we go along.

When we began this project we assumed each child would read to one dog
for about 15 minutes.  What we quickly discovered was that children
wanted to read to all the dogs.  We also discovered they were amazingly
patient & willing to pet a dog, listen, & wait quietly while others
read.  It has been pretty free form and we just try to be sure each dog
is being read to throughout the entire program time.  We gather short
books at various reading levels & place them on tables around the
children's area for kids to select from for their reading.

When we started this we said "elementary school age" on our publicity.
I think we still do.  However, most of our readers are K-2.

Susan Hall

Children's Associate

Xenia Community Library

Jim Mann