[OPLINLIST] Reference Chat

Sherie Brown brownsh at massillonlibrary.org
Mon Jul 9 10:11:40 EDT 2007

Dear Reference colleagues:

Do any of your departments offer chat reference service directly from your own staff, in addition to Know It Now service?  If so, could you let me know what aggregate chat software (ie Meebo) you are using and if there are any technical issues to think about other than simply offering a chat icon on our website.

Are you finding the quantity of questions necessitates having someone off the reference desk respond to the chat, or is it manageable while juggling the phone and walk-ins?

How long have you provided this service?  Have you done publicity to inform the public of this service?

I thank you in advance for the information.

Sherie Brown
Head of Reference Services
brownsh at massillonlibrary.org           NOTE!  NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS

Massillon Public Library
208 Lincoln Way E.
Massillon OH 44646

Phone 330.832.9831
Fax 330.832.8273

Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.
King Whitney Jr. <http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/King_Whitney_Jr./>