[OPLINLIST] Year 4 status of KnowItNow/ HomeworkNow/ ReadThisNow

laura@designforthelittleguy.com laura at designforthelittleguy.com
Thu Mar 15 11:36:28 EST 2007

Dear Colleagues:

Since its inception, KnowItNow has been able to refer students to tutors
when the needs exceeded normal library reference. Over the life of the
Statewide KnowItNow/HomeworkNow service, 15% of the questions were
referred to tutors and 85% have been answered by Ohio's dedicated
reference librarians.

Due to a change in business model, Tutor.com will no longer be able to
provide this service to us after August 31, 2007. Instead, they will be
marketing online tutoring directly to public libraries throughout Ohio.
The tutoring product is named Live Homework Help Online and will
provide tutors in Math, Science, Social Studies, and English for grades
4-12. In Ohio, Tutor.com is represented by Rachel Friedman and you will
soon be receiving a mailing describing this service.

Please note that it is not a replacement for HomeworkNow, which provides
traditional library reference geared to the student population.

We know that there is some confusion about the continuation of KnowItNow
on a statewide basis and we have been working closely with the State
Library to provide for the future of this service. We are happy to let
you know that the State Library Board has decided to continue funding
the KnowItNow service suite (KnowItNow, HomeworkNow, and ReadThisNow)
for the next state fiscal year, through June 2008.

KnowItNow Partners: Cleveland Public Library, Cuyahoga County Public
Library, NEO-RLS

The KnowItNow support team
216-623-2987
216-973-2972 Cell