[OPLINLIST] Ohio Narratives: An Oral History How-To Workshop in Blue Ash

SWON Libraries info at swonlibraries.org
Fri Nov 9 16:20:12 EST 2007

*This announcement has been posted to several lists.  Our apologies for
any duplication.
Please forward to all interested parties.

*

  Ohio Narratives: An Oral History How-To Workshop
  <http://www.swonlibraries.org/register?a=formreg&id=1178&rate=cost4&sponsor=SouthWest%20Ohio%20and%20Neighboring%20Libraries&addattendee=Y>

      Date

Thursday, November 29th, 2007

      Time

9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

      Location

SWON Libraries Office

      Speaker(s)

*Barbara Ruland* is a veteran producer of informational video
programming. She began her career at KPBS, the public broadcasting
station in San Diego California in the early 1980's. From there she
became an independent producer, and co-owner of a small production
company that served clients throughout the region.

Barbara and her husband moved to Bowling Green in the fall of 2005,
where they have re-started their business as Producer One Media, LLC
<http://www.producerone.com/>. Since this project began in early 2006,
Barbara has recorded over 100 interviews with ten NORWELD
<http://www.norweld.lib.oh.us/default.asp> libraries.

      Description

/Underwritten by the Northwest Regional Library System, NORWELD/

In this workshop, Barbara will walk us through the "Five Ws and an H" of
creating Oral Histories. From the very beginning of a project to the end
result, Barbara will teach us the process and the benefits of creating
and videotaping Oral Histories.

-- Why oral history? The benefits of having an oral history archive. An
exploration of why individual libraries may be interested in doing oral
history, and a brief survey of existing oral history models.

-- What is the focus of your specific oral history project? Defining
subjects and brainstorming different ways to approach them. What are the
issues that must be addressed in any oral history project?

-- Who does what? Staffing your project and creating workable job
descriptions. Who will be interviewed? Defining criteria for selecting
interview subjects.

-- When should we do that? Understanding the time requirements for the
project and designing a workflow.

-- Where should we do the taping? Just like in real estate, location is
one of the keys to a good video.

-- How does it all come together? How does a typical taping go and how
can we ensure a successful taping? How might you publicize and program
your oral history project?

      Meal

Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided.

      Audience

Library staff and volunteers are welcome. If you have been wanting to
start an oral history project, or if you have new volunteers or staff
members to work on your project, this workshop can help.

      Contributing Member of SWON Libraries

$20

      Friend of SWON Libraries

$20

      Contributing Member of NEO-RLS, NORWELD, or SERLS

$20

      Other

$20

The deadline to register is Monday, November 26th, 2007