[OPLINLIST] Community Service -- Looking For Policies or Ideas For One

Gerry Vogel gvogel at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Tue Aug 5 11:54:56 EDT 2008

I'm sure many of your libraries have requests for community service.

Courts assign the number of hours required and a deadline date, and tell
them to "call the library or something".  Then the fun begins.

It has been our experience that these rarely work out.  We arrange
appropriate work and supervision and have no-shows, or those who show
once and don't return, or cause so many problems we'd rather they
didn't.  For a while I just said no to any and all requests, but before
I close the door again -- I wonder if anyone can share:

1.	Any POLICIES on offering community service opportunities
2.	Experiences (good or bad) you wish to share

Email to me and I will compile and share with the list.

--
Gerry Vogel, MLIS
Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library