[OPLINLIST] Bandwidth issues.

Christopher Brose brosech at oplin.org
Wed Aug 27 09:33:24 EDT 2008

Hello,

I know everyone looks at the subject "bandwidth issues" and cringes, and I
know this has been discussed in the past, and I know with certainty this
will be discussed in the future, so here is my question.

Last September we moved our patron network off the OPLIN router due to
bandwidth issues caused by Runescape, Myspace, video downloads, etc, adding
a second T-1 line through AT&T.   Since the internet and it's traffic are
never going to grow smaller, we are experiencing congestion on this AT&T T-1
line.  The bandwidth of this second line becomes so completely maxed after
the kids visit after school, and when our lab opens, anyone trying to use
the Internet experience complete frustration with long load times and time
out issues.

 I would like see what others have used or tested in the way of throttling
or shaping their libraries network traffic to improve Quality of Service to
their patrons.

Thanks,

Christopher J. Brose

Network Administrator