[OPLINLIST] Circulating MP3 Players

Michael Vollmar-Grone vollmami at oplin.org
Tue Feb 12 09:09:13 EST 2008

Hi Gerry,
We’ve been circulating 10 Creative Zen V digital media players since
October. The number seems right for the local population of 45,000 as we
range from having a couple MP3 Players on the shelf waiting to having
just a couple of Holds. Borrowing for 28 days is currently limited to
Adults and no renewals. Fines are $1.00 a day.

On the downside, I had to return one unit for servicing shortly after
the warranty ran out. Two units are currently overdue.

We are not loading content although we do offer a download station
dedicated to the Ohio eBook Project for the public to use in Digital
Media Services.

All content is removed and the unit recharged when returned.

We had 3 hands-on training sessions with the Digital Media staff and
individual follow up sessions to learn how to use and service the
players. None of the seven of us owned an MP3 Player and so had limited
knowledge. Parents of teenagers had a decided edge in the learning
curve, or at least had experienced users to consult.

I chose the Creative Zen V unit based on compatibility with Overdrive
and recommendations from a variety of sources including the Audiobook
listserv. The unit is rechargeable and has some additional features that
simpler models do not offer such as Media Transfer Protocol.

Because of MTP, we must circulate the installation CD for customers to
install the software on their computers. We have reports of some
computers recognizing the devices without an install, but none of the
computers at the library duplicated that.

We include a hard, inexpensive amplified speaker case for additional
protection and flexibility when using the player. It plays loud enough
to use in an automobile in a driving rain, one of my pre-circulation
test experiences. All components are packaged in a soft case about the
size of a paperback which has pockets for the USB cable, and room for
the CD in a protective case, the speaker case, and a set of Quick
Instructions for Ohio eBook and the MP3 Player. The whole package costs
about $100.

My second choice is the Creative Nano which is a very easy to use,
battery operated MP3 Player. It also is compatible with Overdrive and
was recommended by a number of listserv participants.

Best wishes,

Michael Vollmar-Grone
Director of Digital Media Services
Shelby County Libraries