[OPLINLIST] Adult Programming Ideas

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 12:28:24 EDT 2008

Hello all,
Wanted to share this compiled list of ideas from the PUBLIB discussion list.
If you subscribe to PUBLIB, excuse this duplication. Have a great first day
of summer!

Adult Programming Favorites
PubLib, June 2008
------------------
"2nd Saturday" series, including:
Genealogy Workshop
Chinese Cooking--We paid an expert and she demonstrated and then
everyone got a taste.
Flower arranging--The local garden club, also very popular
Antique Car Club--This Saturday, show in the parking lot, and then
lecture.
Local History from the local Historical Society
Amateur Radio Club--local club
Orange Crate Labels--collecting and history, local collector
Art Show--local painting group
(in the future)  GeoCaching
-------------------
Beginning Computer Skills for Seniors
------------------
We have a local paranormal group and they have done two programs for us,
the last one drew 115 people.  A local neuropsychologist did a program
on keeping your brain tuned up and it drew about 100 people.  A program
on Bigfoot drew about 80 people.
-------------------
At our library we have 3 monthly programs that we all enjoy.  The book
club - it's a little different because we read a book, talk about it,
then talk about the culture and taste some food from that culture.  The
adults have a craft time once a month.  The art club also meets once a
month.
--------------------
We can't afford most travelling exhibits or the insurance or space.  We
have been doing this work around.  We do photo exhibits.  We pick a
theme and put a call out to the community.
The photos brought in are scanned and returned.  We then print the image
and mount it on mats.  We laminate the images so they look more like a
photo.  We have a laminator, so it is cheaper than the photo paper for
us.  We then write our own descriptions and information to hang with the
images.
 We have spotlighted local Black history with our photos.  We scanned
WWII photos and letters to coincide with Ken Burn's War last fall.  Old
local postcards make a great exhibit too.
--------------------
Several years ago we had a local book-lover/collector come and talk
about the history of books, how they are made, what clues you can use to
find out how old a book is--and, best of all, he appraised books that
people brought in!  He would tell them if a book had monetary value, or
was simply "a nice reading copy".  (He worded it so gently--he was
great!)
Perhaps the most enthusiastically received program we have had was the
de-cluttering program we hosted earlier this spring.  Again, the speaker
was terrific--and we all took home practical tips for getting our lives
in order.  Although this wasn't our best attended program, the folks who
came REALLY loved it!
------------------
One of the most rewarding I ever did was "Cambodian Court and Folk
Dance".
Our city was a refugee resettlement area for Cambodians fleeing the
Khmer Rouge government.  Working with the local resettlement director (
a former Secretary of State in Cambodia) we presented the dance troupe
he had helped create as a means of keeping the refugees in touch with
their heritage.
Over 300 people attended.  Cambodians, sponsoring famalies and general
public enjoyed a unique presentation, the refugees felt a sense of
acceptance by being part of a library program.  It was also a lot of fun
and gave the library contacts who helped us better serve this segment of
the community.
-------------
I did a wildly successful soy candle making program for pretty much all
ages.  I promo'd it for Mother's Day which worked well, but I am sure
that it wouldn't have mattered when I had it.  Easy, inexpensive, and
extremely rewarding.  My presenter was a candle maker in my area, but it
is relatively easy to find candle makers in any area.  She collects
interesting jars, spends money on high quality scents, ribbons and
decorative items, and really does a great job.  It cost me $10 per
attendee.  They took home the candle they created, and the best part was
that the kids' candles looked as good as the adults'.
--------------------
I'm a fan of Antiques Roadshow on PBS. One of our libraries did a
similar program (not using the name of the show) by asking a couple of
antiques dealers in their town to come one evening & give verbal
appraisals to folks who brought in a few objects.
--------------------
Get a passport (far, far more than we could register--Canadian border a
couple of hours away
Knitting instruction
Bridge instruction
Walking tours of the older streets, conducted by the Town Historian
----------------
We recently had a geocaching class.  Geocachers love to share so it was
not hard to find an instructor.  We all had a great time.
---------------------
I have a gentleman who comes in and teaches the finer points of Texas
Hold 'em poker, a certified hypnotist who does a session on hypnosis, a
wedding planner who gives tips on planning weddings and parties, a
professional organizer who gives advice regarding home and office
organization, a home beer brewer who'll talk about his hobby and how to
get started, a real estate agent who will talk about what first-time
home buyers need to know, a travel agent who will discuss places to go
and see in our state as well as how to choose and book a cruise, members
of the local photo guild who show examples of their work and explain how
to take better pictures, etc. We've also done a few craft programs, such
as hand-made books and simple beading. We also have an umbrella license
to show feature films; we do pay for this.
We didn't pay anyone to speak at any of these programs. My favorite
place to look for ideas and possible speakers is our local community
college's catalog of continuing education classes.
---------------
Mehndi, hairstyles, cooking, computer classes - like blogging,
gardening, chocolate making, knitting, etc. have been successful here.
--------------------

--
Susan Pieper, Director
Paulding County Carnegie Library
susanhillpieper at gmail.com
ALA Councilor-At-Large (2007-2010)
ALA-APA Councilor (2007-2010)
PLA Board of Directors
PLA Library Services Cluster Steering Committee
ARSL Board Member ex-officio
(Association for Rural & Small Libraries)