[OPLINLIST] Cuttering?

Lynne Welch welchly at oplin.org
Tue Mar 18 14:51:12 EDT 2008

Hello colleagues,

Have any of you done away with the Cutter Number system and replaced the
Author line of your Call Number with the author's name? We are trying to
make the collection more user-friendly and I wonder if this would help
accomplish that.

The change-over would be limited to our NonFiction and Biography
sections (the Fiction sections already display the first 3 letters of
the author's name).

We would appreciate input from anyone who has already gone through the
process. In your response can you also address whether you use the full
author name, or only the first few letters (and, if so, how many).

Thanks in advance,
Lynne
Lynne Welch
Herrick Memorial Library