[OPLINLIST] Zero balance

Patricia Marsh pmarsh at starklibrary.org
Wed Nov 12 10:59:31 EST 2008

As someone who has working in states other than Ohio, when budget cuts are discussed I keep thinking back to my days in other states.  I think in one library, we ran the place on $8 per capita.
So what did we do?  We re-used everything.  Before coming to Ohio I don't know that I ever saw a plastic bag purchased with the intention of giving it to patrons.  We used all those extras that people have around their house.  Paper was always printed on both sides, and scrap paper was the parts that are left over from companies that print things.  We got the ends of check runs from banks and what we could from local printing companies.  We made due with less.  There were no refreshments at programs unless it was a major, major event.  In more than 1 state summer reading prizes were donations.  One summer our kids got left over toys from a local general store and donated books.  Our teambuilding was potlucks, not catered meals.   We did a lot of our own maintenance.  I don't remember having dedicated maintenance in 2 libraries where I've worked.  In 1 we used the city workers and were put on a waiting list for them.  In the other I used the trustees from the county jail.  Our collections probably weren't as large or as cutting edge.  Our programming was probably pared down.  And one of the major differences was the lack of degreed librarians.  You had to be in a pretty big system to have reference librarians, in most places degreed librarians were at the department head level and above, and in some even the director wasn't degreed.

In general I'm not an advocate of cutting jobs or not encouraging library school.  But we got along fine in these places; there were great librarians and stellar paraprofessionals.  We all did what we could with what we had-most of us not knowing any different.  I strongly suspect that when we need to look at saving money we need to contact our out-of-state colleagues.

Patty Marsh