[OPLINLIST] Deceptive charities

Rachelle Miller rmiller at tmcpl.org
Mon Nov 24 08:11:18 EST 2008

I got the article below from our county MRDD office. This is,
unfortunately, the second deceptive charity asking to put a bin in our
library in the last few months. I wanted others to be aware so they can
make their own decisions on whether to allow this group. According to
the story below, a company called Ohio Mills is not being totally
forthright about what they do with clothing donations for Special
Olympics.

I had another charity ask to place a bin for recycled cell phones,
charges, and ink cartridges with profits benefiting "local" schools. I
got the line "so-and-so library up the street is doing it." A little
checking revealed there is such an organization but they don't ask for
chargers. So, the group may be legit but I had my doubts about the
individual asking for donations since his wish list wasn't the same as
the actual charity he was promoting. The only thing the group required
was registration at their website to get access to signs asking for
donations.

Having said all that, I do realize there are some upstanding
charities-we have a Toys for Tots bin and one for our local abuse
shelter. But we're doing a lot of research before letting any other
charity use our space to potentially scam people.

Rachelle Miller

Director

Troy-Miami County Public Library

937.339.0502 ext. 16

"You have the power to dream and smile."

                                         Autumn, age 9