[OPLINLIST] morale

Misty Janusik MJANUSIK at sloma.state.oh.us
Thu Apr 2 13:02:22 EDT 2009

Rachelle,

Thank you so much for posting this question on the list.  Here are a few
of my ideas.

In times like these when the world seems cloudy, bleak, and the sun is
hidden behind a cloud, we have the opportunity to shine.  (Both
personally and professionally)

Personally, I can give myself an evaluation.  Am I encouraging and
praising my coworkers?  Am I a team player?  How can I make the rest of
my team look and feel better?  Did I complain all day?  Did I try to
find humor and hope and if I did, did I share it with others?  Did I
help someone today without being asked?

Professionally- We can evaluate our library, our profession, our
mission.  Some libraries are assisting displaced workers by offering
workshops on resume writing and promoting computer availability.  We
have so many resources to share.

Promote teamwork.  Shelving materials can be a slow, draining process,
but we have to do it.  A while ago we had an enormous load of materials
to shelve.  We designated certain times for our employees to drop what
they were doing and race to the stacks to shelve a truckload of books.
We all worked off of the same truck.  In a matter of minutes we would
have an empty book truck.  We laughed as we worked and the camaraderie
made the job seem less monotonous.

Have a "free smile day."  Everyone who walks through your doors gets a
free smile.

At SEO a lot of our morale is food related.  : )  Arrange for your staff
have a cookie or treat exchange during lunch one day.  Order in pizza
for lunch or better yet try a potluck.

We are in this together.  We can be the darkness or chose to offer the
light of hope, friendship, and family.

Misty

Misty Janusik, SEO Library Asst. 2

State Library of Ohio

Serving Every Ohioan Library Center/Cataloging Dept.

40780 Marietta Rd.

Caldwell, Ohio 43724

mjanusik at sloma.state.oh.us

Phone: 740-783-5705, 877-552-4262

Fax: 1-800-446-4804

www.library.ohio.gov

"The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist
state government and libraries in providing the best service to all."