[OPLINLIST] The Guernsey Literary...

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:04:33 EDT 2009

Warm Spring Greetings,

Please forgive me this indulgence. I just read (listened) to my most
favorite book ever! I rarely sing accolades about any title in particular,
because how could you choose? But now, I am smitten. Listening is the
recommended format here, because the readers (performers) of *The Guernsey
Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society* capture each character with wit, charm
and absolute believability. I am on the road quite a bit and listening to a
book on CD is my reading format of choice. When I picked up this title, I
was not sure I would be able to follow along, as it is written entirely in
letter (correspondences) form. Written by Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece,
Annie Barrows and read by Paul Boehmer, Susan Duerden, Rosalyn Landor, John
Lee and Juliet Mills, *The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie
Society*characters relate to each other – through letters – the life
on this Channel
Island and especially about the German occupation during World War II. I
laughed and I cried. The littlest thing set me off. The readers make this
book come alive with the smells and tastes of island life. I hope you can
get on a reserve list for this book on CD (Random House Audio). And, I hope
you’ll enjoy it as much as I did.  Some books should just never end. I just
had to share this with you!

Take care and have a blessed spring!

Susan

*****************************