[OPLINLIST] Compilation of skateboarding policies

Maria Vega vegama at oplin.org
Mon Jul 13 16:08:43 EDT 2009

Hi-several libraries asked for a summary of the responses I got about
skateboarding.  Thanks to everyone who responded.

Maria Vega

Piqua Public Library

Compilation of Skateboarding Responses from Libraries

No skateboards permitted in building at all:  5 libraries

Skateboards allowed but only if left at the desk/in a dedicated space:  13
libraries

Skateboards allowed if carried: 17 libraries

Library provides racks/lockers: 7 libraries

No library policy currently dealing with skateboarding:  6

Skateboards allowed but policy prohibits their use in and around library
property: 19

Sample of  responses:

*	Recently, I've seen teens showing up with skateboards, basketballs,
and baseball bats.  As long as they are just carrying the sports equipment,
and not actually using it, it's not a problem.  We will ask them to leave
the stuff behind the reference desk if they sign up for one of the computers
- there's just not enough room in the computer area to have skateboards and
bats stacked up between the chairs.  As far as I know, there have been no
complaints about this informal policy.
*	Skateboards have become VERY popular with my kids, and we do the
same although we've had upwards of 10 boards at a time...  We're in a shared
building with a rec center (and no lockers for the kids), so we've been
treating them like we've treated backbacks during the school year- anyone
who has a skateboard has to "check" it at our desk, and I make sure that
they're in a corner so staff aren't tripping over them.  Kids are
responsible for getting them on their way out, but we usually have a couple
that have been left.  No one can claim anyone else's stuff, and so far we
haven't had any incidents with missing/stolen items.  It does get
frustrating to have a mound of backpacks and other items in our workspace,
but we're extremely small so there's no where else to put it, and it's much
better than the kids keeping them with them, and not being able to resist
the temptation to start riding around or showing off!
*	We have anyone who brings a skateboard in drop it off at the front
desk. When the teens leave they pick up their boards on their way out.  We
haven't had any problems with this policy although I could see a problem if
someone swiped someone elses board. Since we are small it really isn't a
problem especially since we usually only have 1 or 2 boards at a time (if
any).
*	We have banned skateboards wholesale from our building.  It is not
an issue of ruining the floor.  It is an issue of safety.  We are
responsible for the safety of all the patrons in the building.  If we allow
the skateboarders to skateboard in the building and they knock someone down
and hurt them, the library would be responsible.  If the skateboarders were
allowed to skateboard in the building and went through any of our floor to
ceiling glass, we would be responsible.  This is just not something we can
allow.  We don't even allow it on the sidewalk outside because of the safety
of families trying to get into the building without being knocked over.
*	There's no official rules regarding skateboards in our policy
manual.
*	I know that this is not a solution for everyone, but just wanted to
point out that skateboard racks are available from the same kinds of places
that sell bike racks.perhaps not the answer to an immediate problem, but to
be considered when planning new buildings, renovations, etc.  See for
example: http://www.parkabike.com/skateboardseries.html

.         I have only been at my current library for a few months, but it
appears we haven't had much of a problem with skateboards.  I've noticed,
especially now that school is out, that young people will come into the
library carrying a skateboard.  They carry them around with them, and will
stash them under their chairs when using the computer.  My library doesn't
have a specific policy about skateboards, but were a skateboarder to become
a problem, we would handle them the same way we handle all disruptive
behavior: you get a verbal warning, a written warning, and then you are
banned from the premises for a period of time. It is very similar to my
experiences at the library where I interned for 8 months-- young people use
skateboards as a genuine means of transportation, so we don't want to ban
them, since that will likely decrease the number of teen boys entering the
library-- typically a population we are trying hard to reach out to.

.         Bikes are not allowed in the library of course, and we provide a
bike rack, but it doesn't seem like there's an easy way to lock up a
skateboard.  Perhaps lockers?

*	My branch library has a no-skateboards policy too, both in the
building and in the traffic circle & parking lot outside (which is owned by
the town, not by the library). While there's no getting around the policy,
I've tried several things to diminish the anti-teen impact. I've talked to
the library staff about politely asking teens to skate elsewhere (i.e.
directing them to the nearest skatepark) rather than just yelling at them
and chasing them away. Also, while we don't allow skateboard USE in the
library, skaters can check their skateboards at the circ or ref desks, and
pick them up again when they leave. Finally, I've liased with the Parks &
Rec person at the local skatepark so that when they have big events, the
library can be present with cool giveaways and library card applications.
We've also used our library Flip cam to video the skaters and then posted
the videos to the library YouTube account, so the skaters can see themselves
online. These efforts might not be huge, but I hope that they show skaters
that we DO care about their needs and that we DO want them in the
library....even if we can't let them skate here.
*	We have signs posted at our library that ban skateboards, bikes, and
the like from the library and its grounds. I, personally, do not agree with
this rule. Of course, I am also a strong supporter of all extreme sports
(BMX, skateboarding, etc.) so I may be a little biased. My thoughts
obviously do not reflect the opinions of my library, but in my personal
opinion, as long as there's no damage to property or anything like that I
don't see why it is such a big deal. I don't know the severity of the
problems you've had in the past, but unless serious problems arise, I don't
see the problem.
*	Our kids just carry them in. They have to keep them with them, but
they cannot sit or stand on them. They are not allowed to skate on our
property.
*	We have no special policies governing skateboards in the library.  I
know that's not a lot of info, but maybe it will help to have some data on
how many libraries do not?
*	This sounds to me like a conduct in the library problem NOT a
everyone who uses skateboards problem. I would think that you would try to
deal with the individual or treat it like any other case of vandalism. We
don't ban skateboards in the building. They obviously cannot skate inside or
on our stairs, but we deal with that on a person by person basis with a
warning then removal from the library.
*	We hold them behind the circ desk.  We never have more than 2 or 3
at a time.

.         We've had some skateboarding issues in the past, especially with
skateboarding on library property.

.         Our policy is that they can bring the skateboards into the library
but they must carry them, not ride, and keep them out of the way of people
walking.

*	We do not have a policy regarding skateboards inside the library.
Students are permitted to bring skateboards in with them and generally keep
them near their person while here.  Once in a great while someone asks that
we watch theirs and we do.  We do have a policy regarding their use outside
the library which is NO on the steps and ramps and NO in the parking lot
during library open hours.  We used to be more generous but tightened our
policies generally last summer which saw a lot of abuse in several areas.
*	No skateboards?  Don't let some bad apples ruin the reputation of a
bunch of otherwise great kids!  My brother got a speeding ticket last week -
I don't think all of our cars will be taken away as punishment do you?
*	I worked at a public library where they did two different
variations.  At one point, they had "skateboard parking", it was a spot
right next to the circ desk where the kids would lean their boards on a
wall.  But that was when there were only a few.  I think later on (I was
gone at this point) they checked their boards in with the circ staff, so
they wouldn't get taken by some kid who might have come in with one board
but found one they liked better!
*	We also have a huge skateboarding population. They are allowed to
bring them inside, but they are not allowed to use them inside, nor on our
outside patio. We're surrounded by street and parking lot so we tell them
they have to cross the street. Then (and I know it sounds bad) they're not
our problem.  They're good kids so I'm happy to have them here. I haven't
had issues with indoor skating.

.         In both public libraries I have worked in, we have had teens leave
their skateboards near the circulation desk or in the lobby. Both were small
libraries. The regulars were able to just come in and put their boards away.
We didn't state that we would keep an eye on them or take responsibility for
them. It did cut down on the teens trying them out in the library.

.         We designated area for them to be left while in the library.

*	Skateboards are less of a "problem" in the library than strollers.
*	Currently we have "no skateboards" policy.
*	At our branch they can bring their skateboards in as long as they
don't ride them and they don't leave them out in the aisles.  Must carry or
tuck sideways beside their chair basically.
*	I believe it is required to post no skateboarding signs outside the
library in order for the policy to enforce this.  We did this at each
library I worked at.  At the Fairborn Library youngster ignored the signs
and skateboarded off wooden park benches until we had to have the city of
Fairborn stain them to hide the damage.  At the Rossford Library we were
just around the corner from the police in a small town, so when we called
them they came right away to enforce the signs.  At my present job, the
previous director has large no skateboarding signs on the exterior.  One was
taped over with duct tape that said "Go Skateboarding."  The sign was taken
down and stored in our outdoor shed.  Allyou can do is post the sign and
call the police.  The parking lot and driveway shared by the library and the
City of Rossford was busy, and I always worried a car would mow down the
teens trying to skateboard, so I called the police quite a bit. You could
always put up another sign disclaimer that the library is not responsible
for accidents that occur due to skateboarders violating your policy.  Good
luck to you in trying to prevent accidents on library property.
*	I'd look into a skateboard rack.  http://www.belson.com/sbr.htm