[OPLINLIST] Fingerprinting responses compiled

thuraich@oplin.org thuraich at oplin.org
Tue Jun 16 10:27:11 EDT 2009

Here is a compilation of the responses I received from my query about
fingerprinting of staff:

We are a small library and within the past few years have hired a new staff
person.  The issues was raised at that time with the board and all the staff
were then required to have a background check done since we all work with
children at some point in our day.  This is just an added protection for our
board and staff.  We get our checks done at the Owens Community College in
Findlay through their Police program

Jane Schaffner, Director
McComb Public Library
113 S. Todd St.
McComb, OH 45858
419-293-2425
419-293-2748 fax

We have BCI/FBI checks for new hires or transfers for staff who will work
directly with youth.  Board did not want to do for all staff or for
volunteers at this time.  When I researched this issue, I learned we aren't
required to fingerprinting unlike preschools.
Hope this helps,
Therese Feicht

I do not believe it is required for libraries but we do it for all new
hires and
retroactively for staff hired before this requirement if they move to a
position
where they work directly with children.  Our County Prosecutor advised
that we
should.

Check with your local sheriff or local schools to see if they have a
service you
could tap into what they use as far as getting a good rate for criminal
background
check/fingerprinting.  We require a criminal background
check/fingerprinting for
volunteers as well.

Marilyn
Marilyn Steiner