[OPLINLIST] Representative Wants Feedback

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:25:47 EDT 2009

Hello all,
I just got off the phone with our district's House Representative Lynn
Wachtmann. He said he will absolutely fight for library funding. His
proposal is for everyone, across the board to take a 5%-7% cut instead of
drastic cuts for a few. If you cut across the board by the same percentage
(5% or so), the budget of  approximately $54 billion would be reduced by the
$3.2 billion which is our deficit.

This across-the-board cut makes a lot of sense to me, but I'm not a number
cruncher. It seems like a fairer way of doing business. Representative
Wachtmann said he didn't mind me sharing his idea and what he is trying to
convince his colleagues to do, with Ohio's library community. He is
interested in hearing your feedback.

So, please e-mail your feedback of an across-the-board cut of 5% for state
agencies, etc. instead of increasing some agencies while really hitting
others (like the PLF) hard. He gave me his private cell number to call him
back with your feedback. He said that public libraries are more important
now than ever, especially since the libraries are taking up the slack of
unemployment offices and other agencies that requiring the online submission
of forms. He was also impressed, but not surprised when I told him we have
people in here everyday taking online school classes... furthering their
education... bettering their lives. He said it is never too late and that if
something is worth fighting for... then fight for it!
Susan
*****************************
Susan Hill Pieper
Director/Editor