[OPLINLIST] Governor's Statement on Public Libraries on Facebook

Kerry McCrone kerrymccrone at newtonfalls.org
Fri Jun 26 13:19:02 EDT 2009

Governor's Statement on Public Libraries

Our public libraries serve an important role in the lives of Ohio children
and adults. The funding reduction faced by our libraries is one that will
also be experienced by state government programs across the board.

My framework to balance the state budget includes a reduction in state aid
to libraries in order to minimize the impact of $2.43 billion in spending
reductions that will impact services for our most vulnerable, especially
children, the elderly and disabled.  These cuts will help to address the
$3.2 billion budget gap without raising taxes on Ohio families and
businesses.  The framework reduces the size of government in line with the
shrinking economy, and keeps our commitment to the classroom reforms that
will better prepare Ohio students for jobs.  All this will position Ohio for
job growth and economic recovery.

Without doubt, what I have outlined requires tough choices.  Many of the
services that Ohioans have come to rely on will have to be reduced, and some
suspended.  This is not because those services are not worthy.  It is
because state government has to prioritize limited resources to make it
through this recession.  Every day, similar decisions are being made around
countless kitchen tables and shop floors throughout Ohio.

I believe that libraries provide important services to members of our
community. While many of us turn to our libraries for book clubs, summer
reading and research projects, Ohioans also utilize the local library as a
place to find free high speed internet access and to receive assistance with
finding a job or filing their taxes.  I am committed to the goal and vision
of our libraries and the services they provide.  During these difficult
economic times, it is important that our libraries remain a haven for
individuals to gather and utilize resources.  That's why my framework
commits $531 million in funding for our libraries over the next biennium.

All Ohioans are making shared sacrifices.  But I have faith that, with the
commitment of our community members, we will be able to overcome today's
challenges and continue working to build a stronger, better Ohio.

Click here <http://www.governor.ohio.gov/Portals/0/LibrarySupport.pdf>  to
download a copy of the letter.

Kerry L. McCrone, Director

Newton Falls Public Library

204 S. Canal Street

Newton Falls, OH 44444

(330)872-1282

(330)872-9153 facsimile

kerrymccrone at newtonfalls.org

"If you want your children to be brilliant, read them fairly tales.  If you
want them to be geniuses, read them more fairy tales."

-Albert Einstein